Differences in timing covers?

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
My timing cover from my 67 273 Dart is shot. I need to replace it. Did the part number change in 1969 or 70? I can get my hands on one from 1972, but the part number is not matching.

The big name suppliers either do not have them, or they want big bucks if they do. Any advice if I cannot use the 72 timing cover?

I believe the only difference is that the seal is driven in from front instead of the back

The covers changed after 69. The timing marks are on the opposite side and get covered by the water pump hose. You can use a newer cover with a newer pump and radiator. I have a 69 cover if you want to stay with old style.

You are correct. A 72 cover puts the timing mark on the wrong side and cannot be used with the marks on your 67 damper. Some time in 69 this was changed from driver side like yours to pass side timing mark. Also some covers (i've only seen 68) had bolt on timing tabs. Meaning it was not part of the cover, but a small tab held on by the two lower water pump bolts. How is your cover "shot"? Try placing a want ad here. There is still plenty out there for a reasonable price.

Here's a 3769966 from '70 I believe for comparison (BTW it's available).................

TCoverSB70a.jpg

The covers changed after 69. The timing marks are on the opposite side and get covered by the water pump hose. You can use a newer cover with a newer pump and radiator. I have a 69 cover if you want to stay with old style.
Thanks for the offer. I would like to stay original. What kind of condition and price?

It's clean and good shape. Can get you get you a pic tonight. 20 bucks plus shipping? Should fit in a flat rate box

I think i've still got one for a 67 318 if you want it. I had to swap it for a newer one to fit the water pump and radiator in my 73 duster. Actually ended up being a total pain in the ***. If I remember correctly they're a slightly different depth as well. If you switch the water pumps to fit the timing cover/timing marks then you will have to get a new radiator or do some fancy hose routing because its just different enough to screw everything up.

All timing covers interchange, there's the real early ones with no marks which use a seperate bolt on tab then the next group with the marks on the pass aide then the next group (~70 up) with the marks on the drivers side & the next group, the 79 up with the marks still on the drivers side but it uses a seal that drives in from the front (Daves pic) which has the large front opening. You can source the correct cover or get the bolt on tab or find true TDC with the tool in the plug hole (always a good idea) & remark the dampener with a new slit. "Daves" is the much later one (79 up) & it will work fine just get the right later seal for it which drives in from the front. Everything related to the cover mixes or matches as far as fitment is the same (alum/iron pumps interchange).

SAM_0601.JPG

SAM_0602.JPG

All timing covers interchange, there's the real early ones with no marks which use a seperate bolt on tab then the next group with the marks on the pass aide then the next group (~70 up) with the marks on the drivers side & the next group, the 79 up with the marks still on the drivers side but it uses a seal that drives in from the front (Daves pic) which has the large front opening. You can source the correct cover or get the bolt on tab or find true TDC with the tool in the plug hole (always a good idea) & remark the dampener with a new slit. "Daves" is the much later one (79 up) & it will work fine just get the right later seal for it which drives in from the front. Everything related to the cover mixes or matches as far as fitment is the same (alum/iron pumps interchange).

View attachment 1715023423

View attachment 1715023424

will he have to use timing tape on his damper? or will it jive with the factory marks?

Should be there today! Glad I could help out. He won't have to use tape because it is a replacement for his existing cover.

Great! I always like getting new toys for the weekend so I sent it fast.

-
Back