Different 318 casting.

-

SWED67barracuda

Reaction score
Hi there. just found this 318 block , supposedly a 67.Casting nr same as race block but is not . but the casting at the main caps are usually machined and this looks different ,also 5;th cap has a larger oil hole than usually .someone got an idea?

318.jpg

Hi there. just found this 318 block , supposedly a 67.Casting nr same as race block but is not . but the casting at the main caps are usually machined and this looks different ,also 5;th cap has a larger oil hole than usually .someone got an idea?

View attachment 1715019392
If that is a truck block with 4 hole motor mounting on each side....it will likely bore 4.04 Casting number to look for is in the bottom pic, that's the ticket....

IMAG2582.jpg

IMAG2576.jpg

IMAG2574.jpg

Last edited:
If that is a truck block with 4 hole motor mounting on each side....it will likely bore 4.04 Casting number to look for is in the bottom pic, that's the ticket....

View attachment 1715019549

View attachment 1715019552

View attachment 1715019568
Thanks a bunch . I`ve heard about this from a man called the Baron here in sweden . He only drove 50:s and 60:s Chrysler Le Barons . He and his father got rich on selling MobileCranes in the 50:s - 60:s . So when SAAB who sold Chrysler in sweden decided to stop that in the 70:s they bought their whole parts stock . He is gone now and his widow refuses to sell anything.There is still tons of stuff.He talked about it to be early La truck blocks but said nothing more. This is also the reason for asking about the above block, that`s advertised as a 67`block. I`ve been trying to find out what block he was talking about , so this is it then??

Last edited:
Your engine looks very nice by the way , I`m just starting to assemble mine , first some oil passage and line mods.
Thank you.
I knew some merchant marines from Sweden, Leonard and Mardon/Marten...and that person you speak of sounds familiar. They told of many treasure troves in Sweden. They themselves shipped containers over there full of car parts and cars. They were also into Volvo bertones, no shock there.
The four ear blocks seem to be the ticket, then again the '70-'73 pass car block , quite a few, go 4" . The block in the pic is a 4 ear '71 truck block, someone thought it was junk... It is at 4.040 std 340 , kb243's in it. It now sits under the hood of a cherry '66 dart gt.

Last edited:
Good strong block! Score!!! I see you got the crank too. It might be a forged crank if it was a truck engine.
It is a cast crank for this one , maybe the shot peened strong one .i`ll try to find out , The real score was made yesterday , A std bore 71 340 , must be bored to 4.07 , but thats ok , to find a std bore that needs no boring seems impossible even in the USA i guess.

IMG_20170305_123108.jpg

IMG_20170305_123128.jpg

You're set then, get it bored & honed then grab some kb243 pistons...and if you are the careful spender get a sonic test before hand.

take all the pictures of the visual differences between that block and the other you have of different casting.
You`r right there , Sonic tester , its a djungle to find a reasonable price on one that works for cylinderwalls .Any useful ideas??

-
Back