different kinds of rings

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this is something I have always thought about and never really got a straight answer for .
if you were going to rering a fresh bore of about 5000 miles that has a moly top ring would you deglaze with a 400 grit ball hone and use the same for a rering or would it be best to use iron rings .street strip engine with forged pistons .

You'll get different answers.
This is my approach. A fresh bore has 0 miles. A 5K mile bore is no longer fresh. But - it's probably not bad either. If it was me, and the bores measured round and straight and you have the right piston to wall clearance for your pistons...
I'd use green scotchbrite wrapped around a flex hone with WD40 as a lube to clean up the finish that's there. Moly rings need a very fine wall finish. If you run a dingle ball through it, don't worry about spending extra for moly facing. The bore finish will be so rough will just scrape it all of before the rings seat anyway. Then you have iron faced rings that need a break-in period.

You'll get different answers.
This is my approach. A fresh bore has 0 miles. A 5K mile bore is no longer fresh. But - it's probably not bad either. If it was me, and the bores measured round and straight and you have the right piston to wall clearance for your pistons...
I'd use green scotchbrite wrapped around a flex hone with WD40 as a lube to clean up the finish that's there. Moly rings need a very fine wall finish. If you run a dingle ball through it, don't worry about spending extra for moly facing. The bore finish will be so rough will just scrape it all of before the rings seat anyway. Then you have iron faced rings that need a break-in period.[/QUOTE

Thanks . The moly faced rings im looking at recommends a 400 finish would a 400 grit dingle ball be to rough ? I like the scotchbrite idea because it was honed with torque plates this would be better to keep that finish and clean it up. anyone one else care to add with there experience ?

I'd do a LD on it before teardown, and let that be my guide.
The first three winters after my engine was built, I took it out for inspection. Each time it went back together with the same rings and cylinder finish. It now has over 100,000 miles and still no smoke. I have not Leak-tested it now for many years, but she still performs pretty good.File-fit plasma-moly tops, cast 2nds. And yes, I chemically removed the carbon ridge before pulling the pistons out.

Moly rings need a very fine wall finish. .
IIRC, Hastings calls for a 200-280 grit finish for moly-faced rings. Untitled Document

For clean up, ATF soaked into paper towels and repeatedly rubbed around and around the bores 'til no more darkness shows up on the ATF and paper towel will clean the honing grit out and leave it clean as a whistle.

-
Back