differnce between 1966 904 trans and 1967

-

dickyeb

Reaction score
i have a 1966 dodge dart nicely built 360 and im mating my stock 904 to it. my problem is finding performance rebuild kit and stall converter. i can get 1967 and up, but 1966 and down cant find. I just want to know what is the difference between the two.
and where to find a performance rebuild kit and a stall converter with out giving up my first born son! thanks for any advice

66-67 were change-over years. Has to do with the crankshaft register diameter & the torque converter hub. Lawrence

Actually the 67 and earlier trans use the same converter. The 68 and newer trans use a different size register.
I changed over my 67 trans with a newer input shaft so I could get a higher stall converter.

I swapped a 360 into a 66 Barracuda that was previously a 273. It had a 904 automatic. I got a bushing that adapted the new motor with older trans/converter. "Torque Flight Patty" has the part, I just noticed it the other day on ebay.

I think the 67 had a "new" part throttle kickdown, maybe a valve body change?

Subscribed !
I'm very interested as I have a 66 and a 67, both in cars but soon to be swaped!
Mike

I just had a torque converter made by PTC (Performance Torque Converters). 3000 stall
with the early 18 spline 904 and a 1.81 nose for the later engines

the car had a 273 v8, going to a 360. i got the b&m flex plate to support the 904. the cam i have call for 2700 stall. im on a budget so i cant just get newer trans

bobscuda67 what do u mean by different size register and how do you change the input shaft to a newer year

The hole in the crank is larger after 68 than for pre-68. As was mentioned, you can get an adapter bushing from Torqueflite Patty to use the earlier torqueconverter or swap out the front three main components in you pre-68 tranny with the 68/later so you have the more modern input shaft. Then there is a large selection of torque converters and all you need is a balanced one or the B&M flexplate with balance.

sorry to ask this stupid question im a motor man then trans, but what is the three main components i need to swap out, you caught my attention

I have a Dynamic 3000 stall converter with less than 200 miles on it i pulled out of my 65 barracuda. When I swapped out the old 273 and put in a 360 I had to have a converter made to still use the old 904 tranny. It has the 18 spline and 1.810 register. i decided to go 4spd. manual in the end. I paid 500.00 for and would like 350.00 if interested. Call me anyone interested. 717-701-2208 in Pa.

-
Back