differnce between a 77 motorhome 440?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
will a 440ci motor with a 727 trans bolt up to an a body with the schumaker mounts??

i know a 440 will fit, but i have no clue about motor home engines and if they have different engine mounts and tranny and what not. its out of a Winnebago.

A couple of years ago I dropped a 77-78 motorhome 440 into my 66 Fury. I used Schumacher conversion motor mounts from a sb. It dropped in no problem. The problem for you will most likely be the trans, because most of the motorhomes didn't have a slip yoke for the tail shaft.

If you find a car 727 then I think that you can turn around the tranny crossmember and use it. Your biggest expense will be headers.

BTW that car would idle at 75 mph without even breaking a sweat. Great cruising car. I miss it.

Attachments

• Driver3.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 473
You can use the engine , the block is the same as every other 440 , mount ears are in the same place , what you can't use without major cobbling in the trans . As mentioned no slip yoke and it will have a brake drum mounted on the rear that was the emergency brake for the motorhome. You can remove it but I think the trans mount is in a different location and you will have to make up a hokey driveshaft , it will be cheaper to buy a car specific 727.

What tranny did you have behind your baddart? And there's no way to stick stock manifolds on there? Or they dont have cheap headers that will fit??

You can use the motorhome tranny if you swap on a car tailshaft housing and output shaft. There is no such thing as cheap headers for a big block A body. Your best bet is '65-'66 C body exhaust manifolds and you will need the same car's oil pan.

Some motorhomes had the industrial big blocks in them. You will know one by looking at the waterpump. It will be up high on the engine attaching to the heads. Great for an old power wagon swap, but not for a car.

as opposed to the water pump mounting to the front of the timing chain cover?

as opposed to the water pump mounting to the front of the timing chain cover?

As opposed to the waterpump housing mounting to the block in front of the timing chain cover , the waterpump mounts to timing chain cover on smallblocks .

68-69 C body HP manifolds or 68-73 B/E HP manifolds after you modify the steering column jacket .

Mounting and performance is the same as every other 440, the only thing I have ever heard diffrent is thiner cylinder walls,so If you have to do an over bore know or later you can't go quite as far over as the early model 440's.

Mounting and performance is the same as every other 440, the only thing I have ever heard diffrent is thiner cylinder walls,so If you have to do an over bore know or later you can't go quite as far over as the early model 440's.

The MTYH of thinner cylinders walls was debunked years ago by AndyF , if anything the later blocks are thicker and more uniform than the earlier blocks. What is different is the mix of metal is a little softer , which may not be a bad thing .

If it has 213 cylinder heads don't write them off, if you port, bowl blend and set them up correctly they work well. They have better cooling passages and are a straight plug head. As I understood they were used on some of those engines.

Good basic info on differences and Myth debunking;
http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

727 tailshaft will most likly be wrong. It'll be a short tail bolt on yoke and you need a long tail slip yoke. I just did this swap in my Duster. Its really not that hard to do, just getting all the right parts upfront to do it in one shot was hard. Just need the parts, diagram and a GOOD pair of snap ring pliers. I suggest WIT Transmission for your parts(https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A727&Schematic=3) They are super cheap and VERY helpful. Otherwise they are both just like any other 440/727.

And yes the mounts will work fine though I recommend the ones by Trans-Dapt. Half the price and the same thing.

-
Back