difficulty adjusting clutch sweet spot

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
I have this posted at Moparts.org also, so pardon the double post.

My car is a '65 Barracuda with a 360 and an A833OD gearbox. Both have recently been rebuilt. When I installed them I also put in a new Centerforce clutch, pivot and adapter plate, and throwout bearing - all new from Brewer's. Lately I've been reading about proper clutch adjustment and I just can't seem to get mine correct. I always seem to have noise down there and so I'm finally investigating.

With the inspection cover removed, I can measure out 0.060" clearance between the clutch disc and the flywheel. But when this is so, the throwout bearing rides on the clutch fingers. If I adjust it the other direction to just have the smallest gap between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers, the gears grind.

In other words, I can't seem to split the difference between throwout bearing clearance and disc-to-flywheel clearance.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks,
Marcus

Attachments

• P1020423.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 374
  • P1020426.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 379
You either have

a defective clutch cover

a defective disc

wrong linkage parts for your car

or something bending/ flexing such as the Z bar.

What all changed since it worked correctly?

if it is and it should be a diaphragm pressure plate you need to remove the over-center spring. The OC Spring is for a finger style pressure plate.

Thanks for chiming in.

In fact, I have less than a hundred miles on the car since the rebuild. The noise from the gearbox has always been there, but I've been trying to sort out other issues. I'm positive the linkage parts are all correct as per a good discussion with Wayne at Brewer's about the necessary conversion parts. None of it looks to be out of whack. The Z-bar is new and doesn't flex at all when I stare at it from underneath and have a buddy push the clutch pedal.

It seems like pedal should just throw the fork a little further and it would work. I spent some time adjusting the fork pivot (also confirmed correct) and it didn't make any difference.

Confused.

You either have

a defective clutch cover

a defective disc

wrong linkage parts for your car

or something bending/ flexing such as the Z bar.

What all changed since it worked correctly?

Well the over center spring has nothing to do with this particular problem

I don't remember the parts, there's been threads on here about how the slant clutch pedal stuff has less throw than V8 stuff. How about the fork, could it be cracked an flexing?

If you are sure the linkage is OK, have a clutch outfit check the pressure plate for release.

Looking at the picture you posted the fork is not releasing. looks like not enough spring tension to pull it back off the pressure plate. still a lot of gap on the adjustment nuts.

Attachments

• P1020426.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 316
Oh, I know. I've taken that photo during the day when I was trying to figure out what's what. It doesn't normally look that way. Disregard the bronze washer and loosey-goosey nuts. This pic is just to verify that I have new parts and that everything looks aligned correctly.

I always use a 3 finger plate, but is it possible the clutch fork pivot is bolted in backwards?

It sounds like the clutch disc was installed backwards.

I think the springs on disc would hit the fingers on plate. Don't ask me how I know that

Phone Brewers and ask if there's a long and short release bearing/bearing holder,, like chebbies..

IIRC the diaphram clutch "fingers" don't reach out as far as the Borg/Beck style clutch..

I think the springs on disc would hit the fingers on plate. Don't ask me how I know that

Well, when I worked for the local chebbie dealer year ago, there was a TSB on clutch noise on S10 trucks. They came out with a revised clutch disc. I got where I could do one in about 25 minutes. I put one in backwards once. It worked, but much like the OP describes here.

-
Back