Difficulty of changing valve body?

-

/72Scamp

Reaction score
Hi guys. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to transmissions. I have a 727 that I recently purchased and it has a reverse manual valve body in it. Would like to go back to a stock valve body so I can simply put my car in drive and go! Also I have no kickdown linkage on my 383 so I know I will also need this to make it possible!
Any tips for doing the swap?
Thanks

Easy peasy,just loosen the bolts and swap em. Do you have a factory valve body ready? The BB linkage is hard to find. I went with BP's kickdown cable kit for my car.

Attachments

• Picture 1238.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 1239.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 163
get a BIG pan, itll drip forever and everywhere when the VB comes down. Also before you start, get yourself a rubber over metal reuseable pan gasket. The VB wont come down with the sector shaft linkage still on, youll need to remove both kickdown lever and gear lever off shaft...IIRC.
IMAG0235.jpg

It's also nice to be able to turn the driveline when pulling the valve body so you can get the park rod out.

Awesome thanks guys. I do have a stock valve body that is currently in a spare 727 I have. I was thinking of going with the lokar kick down cable. Like I said not up to date on transmissions. So if anyone else had good luck with another brand I am open to any ideas

I just put the lokar throttle and kickdown cable on my dart paired with a Cheetah manual/automatic valve body. Haven't had a chance to really play with the kickdown but it was a pretty easy instal.

I would recommend checking to see if the govenor has also been removed, which is often the case with a RMVB. Valve Body swap is made much easier if, as Trail Beast said the rear wheels are off the ground so you can turn the driveshaft by hand to pull the park rod out of the pawl.

On a scale of 1-10 it's about a 3.

-
Back