digi-tails led tail light inserts

-
I was going to buy them, and tossed it around for quite sometime but like Trailbeast said, to spendy for me. I would be interested in that link you have Greg if you can find it.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz is where you can calculate your led setup.. I used it and SlantSixDans numbers to make mine.
Draw it out so everything works on paper. print it out on a laserjet , Iron it on the copper clad and it'll look like this
rear setup
View attachment DSCF2752.jpg

Front turn signals and backup lights (changing them over to SMT leds so they can be MUCH brighter (lot's more leds really)
View attachment DSCF2753.jpg

etch it out and then cut them out. Drill a zillion holes by have for 4 leg lumileds and resistors . (I tried eaby stuff first,cheap ebay stuff does NOT last Long:banghead:)
View attachment DSCF2755.jpg

and you end up with some nice custom leds that actually work right
View attachment DSCF2768.jpg

Not sure if this reply is appropriate. If you are just looking to have LED's in the taillights and not looking to make a certain pattern then it is an excellent option in my opinion to use regular LED replacement bulbs that fit the original sockets. If the sockets are shot, there all kinds of aftermarket pigtail replacement sockets. Autozone and O'Reilly's both carry the same bulbs and are just drop in replacements for the original dual element taillight bulbs. The only problem with using them is the reduced current flow preventing the turn signal flasher from actuating. This can be solved in 2 ways. The easiest is to use an electronically timed flasher that is nearly identical in size and shape to the OEM flasher. The other is to use resistors between hot and ground on the turn signal element wires. These get hot though and can melt wires they come in contact with and come loose (from personal experience).

I had electrical issues with my 84 riviera and went this route. Too long and detailed explanation as to what all I went through on that vehicle but as of now, it's running with 1157R Jam Strait type LED's that mimic dual element taillight bulbs. Trust me, it all works. Go the electronic flasher route though and skip the resistors. The electronic flasher will flash regardless, even if no bulbs are in the circuit at all and will reduce overall cost. If it's a 4 bulb taillight system total cost would be around 60 bucks. 12 each for the bulbs and 12 bucks for flasher. If just 2 bulbs (like my barracuda), then about 36 bucks (2 bulbs and a flasher).

From jam strait website: 1157-XX LED Bulbs:
Replaces all 1157, 1154, 1034, 2057, 2357, 2397, 3496, 7528 1016, 1076, 1130, 1158, 1493, 2397, 7225, and 7507 bulbs
(1157-XX where the x = color like -R for red)

1034 is the dual element bulb that should be in my Barracuda but I think they are actually 1157's. I just now swapped a pair of the 1157-R LED's stolen from the Buick into the Barracuda and they fit through the smallish hole and worked fine. I already have the electronic flasher in there so when I do the upgrade it will only cost me about 25 bucks. At first, I thought the 1157R red LED's would make pink taillights, but they didn't in the Buick and it has red lenses. Also, it didn't in the Barracuda just now either. White ones are available as well, but may be harder to find.

Also, I have a bag of resistors if anyone wants to keep their original flasher and needs them. Free and I'll pay shipping.

Paul.

-
Back