Dilemma: Which air cleaner?

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
I got a 'new' air cleaner today. its in reallly really good shape. compared to the prices on flea bay for this same air cleaner, I got it for a steal.

it fits on top of the engine, not exactly the way I thought it would what with the oil breather cap and radiator hoses and what not but it is still kind of cool...

should I use it, despite the fact its for early 70s model cars and mine is a 68 or continue with one that isn't even a stock mopar air cleaner on anything?

Current:

and the new :

kind of dusty but the paint is in really excellent shape for the age. the 440 sticker is not right for my car but would be able to be covered up with a shiny pie tin.

You may decide you dont like the sound of the unsilenced air cleaner and make your own decision.

I think you dun a good job on an upgrade!!:salute:
You heads will like the cooler air.
To continue the up grade!! Pick up some rectangular
Venting and give it the 75 deg air instead of 160deg air.
Gas ain't getting any cheaper
and I like the look under the hood when it is vented.:blob:

The new:salute:

I like the look of the new dual snorkel one you have there .... I just like the stock look though ... Sleeper look.... But if you don't want that dual snorkel I 'll gladly take it off your hands....

Go to ebay and type "unsilenced" in the search. There are a couple of nice ones there. With the winter coming, it seems that the prices have slipped a bit.

Frankly, I would go with the correct Mopar un-silcenced air cleaner. That dual snorkle just doesn't look right on your year of car and that air cleaner was for later model Mopar's and usually with 383's. If not the black un-silenced unit, I would stick with the chrome unit. See the pic below of the correct air cleaner.

01_3.jpg

I like the look of the open aftermarket unit. However, to use the OE unit, I would make your heater hoses a bit long like above. Nice, real nice Mr. Hartman.
I have that aircleaner myself and just got my 318 pie pan. To bad the air cleaner is kind of expensive and to add approx. $40 for the pie tin is ..well, upsets me. Though I do think it's a great looking unit.

-
Back