Dim dash lights

-

70orangeswinger

Reaction score
I have a 70 340 Swinger with the rally dash which I drive rarely. I drove it to work yesterday in the dark and noticed the dash lights are very dim, so dim I could barely read the gauges. Anybody out there have any ideas? I hate to switch to led's , I would rather fix the problem. Thanks for reading.

Light switch rheostat might have developed some corrosion or a weak ground. Put some contact cleaner in the switch and rotate to clean contacts.
If that doesn't cure it, look for grounding issues.

My duster was that way. Did the mad electric bypass and wow what a difference

Might just be dirty contacts on the light switch. Rotate the switch back and forth several times and see if that makes any difference. Also run a ground from the steering column support and touch the metal part of the instrument cluster. It normally gets its ground to the screws that hold it to the dash frame. If you painted or powdercoated the dash frame you may not be getting a proper ground anymore.

Might just be dirty contacts on the light switch. Rotate the switch back and forth several times and see if that makes any difference. Also run a ground from the steering column support and touch the metal part of the instrument cluster. It normally gets its ground to the screws that hold it to the dash frame. If you painted or powdercoated the dash frame you may not be getting a proper ground anymore.
Thanks for the help!

I have a 70 340 Swinger with the rally dash which I drive rarely. I drove it to work yesterday in the dark and noticed the dash lights are very dim, so dim I could barely read the gauges. Anybody out there have any ideas? I hate to switch to led's , I would rather fix the problem. Thanks for reading.
How did you make out?

-
Back