dimensions of a small block balancer

-

reds coronet

Reaction score
I need to know the width of a stock harmonic balancer.I purchased a fluid dampener and the crank pulley does not line up with alternator or fan pulleys.It seems that the balancer is too thick at the part were it goes on the crank??? Any help is sure appreciated.

Attachments

• Coronet repairs #3 003 (Large).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 309
its gonna be thicker to where the pulley bolts on. March pulleys sells one that is for fluidampr balancers

You really need to measure from the balancer snout that sits up against the lower timing chain gear to the face where the pulley bolts to. That is what determines the pulley alignment.

i know that this is an old thread but i just got to this point on my build and would really appreciate a follow up. i have a '72 318 with power steering so i have a two groove crank pulley. does anyone know of a pulley i can get that will work with my genuine fluidampr?? i measured roughly and the fluidampr is about 5/8" longer from the seating surface to the pulley mounting surface. thanks in advance for the help :prayer::prayer::prayer:

If you strike out, Dyer's can make you one out of billet for about $150.
I encountered this same dilemma and ended up buying a different balancer

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 182
thanks for the response, i hope thats not the case for me...i was just hoping someone put one of these things on a stock accessory system and that there was a bolt on pulley to make it work.

thanks for the response, i hope thats not the case for me...i was just hoping someone put one of these things on a stock accessory system and that there was a bolt on pulley to make it work.

I think Mancini do a couple of different aluminum crank pulleys. I think they give the dimension from the mounting face to the centre of the groove in the description. I got an ultra shallow single groove one as my alternator is mounted from my motorplate and I have an electric water pump.

Perhaps you could measure the stock pulley depth then look for aftermarket pieces 5/8" shallower. There are some on ebay that give the depth too.

-
Back