dimming lights

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am having problems with my lighting. Dims at idle, brightens during acceleration. I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator and had the battery tested, problem persists. Any info appreciated!

If it is the early model charging system (solid state regulator) and low amp alternator ... that is just the nature of the beast. It was like that for mine anyways until I changed everything over to the late model 75 amp alt.

The problem is in the cars wirring. Start with the basics, dheck the chassis ground strap between engine and firewall, then on te the bulkhead connecter.
This problem has been hashed over many times. Previous threads will show others problems and where they were found, how they were corrected.

also check all your connections. the bulk head, headlight plugs, all wiring for corrosion. pull every connection clean and grease them.

the alternator is a 65 amp. I will try the grounds, thought i had them covered. new ground strap and engine compartment grounds. I guess i will re check.

the alternator is a 65 amp. I will try the grounds, thought i had them covered. new ground strap and engine compartment grounds. I guess i will re check.

All of the cars interior power goes through a fusible link at the bulkhead connecter and through the amp gauge. The resistance could be simply in the headlight switch and its connecter or just the dimmer switch but more often the dimming lights is a sign of entire electrical system issue and not just the light circuit.

redfish, I think that that is the case. Replaced headlight switch, hi beam, brake switch. It has to be in the harness. The wiring is a spliced rat trap! Guess i'll look into a harness :(

-
Back