dino oil and ZDDP additives ? anybody

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Conventional oil and ZDDP additives. Who using them? What are you using( Oil/ additive)?
Hows it working out for you? Intested budget oil (less than $6.00 a Qt)
I can buy VR1 for about $6.00@ QT...= 30.00 per oil change
or I can but dino about 2.50 @QT (on sale) + ZDDP = 21.00 per oil change.
Is this a bad idea?

i buy mobile 10w-30 5 qt jug at walmart for about 15 dollars.....I add the zddp additive to it. which is about 8 dollars for small bottle..but I buy about 5 for 37 dollars with free shipping....so it about 7 dollars for the additive...

Been doing that for years now. Run flat tappet solid and hydraulic cams....

i usually buy VR1 in the spring around April when its on sale everywhere for about $4 a quart. it has a little more than just the zinc/phos, it has better anti foaming, little less detergent etc.. that make it better especially for engines that turn some rpm with double springs. i do add a little redline zddp to it.

i buy mobile 10w-30 5 qt jug at walmart for about 15 dollars.....I add the zddp additive to it. which is about 8 dollars for small bottle..but I buy about 5 for 37 dollars with free shipping....so it about 7 dollars for the additive...

Been doing that for years now. Run flat tappet solid and hydraulic cams....

What ZDDP additive are you using ? and were are you getting 5 @37 wth free shipping ?

i usually buy VR1 in the spring around April when its on sale everywhere for about $4 a quart. it has a little more than just the zinc/phos, it has better anti foaming, little less detergent etc.. that make it better especially for engines that turn some rpm with double springs. i do add a little redline zddp to it.

My engine rarely would see 4500 rpm. More like 2500-3500. With a small summit HYD cam (204/214 .420 lift)
Just looking to save a buck, if it will not create problems.

15w50 Mobil 1 already has the additives for flat tappet cams in it.

Walmart sells it for around $26 for a 5 quart jug

Hi,

I'm using VR-1 in my 383 71 Charger. I like the idea of a balanced oil package and I'll leave that to the Valvoline people rather than try and play chemist. I've always used Valvoline oils in the car and they have done well for me.

The issue is normally the cam, and the amount of idle time. With the small Summit cam you should be fine with a name brand Fleet type (deisel) oil. If you're really worried - run something that has it in it like Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs. I much prefer it being blended in during manufacture than dumping it in during a change. Also - in reality, how often are you changing it? Is the safety factor worth $50-100 a year? You'd do better to not drive the car so it's not using as much fuel (even given the current pricing) than skimping on the life-blood. At least IMO.

I never knew there was a springtime sale for VR1. Places like autozone/advance/napa ?

Yes usually all of the above. Everyone will price match with the exception of napa. Napa usually has it for about $4.50 and usually they are the only ones that stock 10/30.

15w50 Mobil 1 already has the additives for flat tappet cams in it.

Walmart sells it for around $26 for a 5 quart jug

I use the Mobil 15W-50 that already has ZDDP (Zinc) in my 6.1 SRT Challenger ( No MDS )... And a few years ago Chrysler even recommended it for use in the 6.1 in warm areas such as Phoenix Arizona...

As for my 65 Cuda 273 Commando... I use Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty DIESEL 15W-40 Engine (dino) Oil with the Friction & Wear Protection (ZDDP) already included... I love it as I don't want to be a chemist and it's also not pricy (but I still buy it when I see it on sale) @ Autozone etc... Comes in a one gallon container... Besides that... 15W-40 is a good oil weight for these 50 old engines... Maybe more so here in the Phoenix Desert area!!!

My Two Cents

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

I use the Mobil 15W-50 that already has ZDDP (Zinc) in my 6.1 SRT Challenger ( No MDS )... And a few years ago Chrysler even recommended it for use in the 6.1 in warm areas such as Phoenix Arizona...

As for my 65 Cuda 273 Commando... I use Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty DIESEL 15W-40 Engine (dino) Oil with the Friction & Wear Protection (ZDDP) already included... I love it as I don't want to be a chemist and it's also not pricy (but I still buy it when I see it on sale) @ Autozone etc... Comes in a one gallon container... Besides that... 15W-40 is a good oil weight for these 50 old engines... Maybe more so here in the Phoenix Desert area!!!

My Two Cents

Yeah I don't want to be a chemist also. So you think with my small summit cam, it's not quite as big of a deal (ZDDP that is). As if I had a much larger cam ?

Still a big deal I think. I just add half a bottle of Lucas break in additive in both my old flat tappet engines with 5 qt. of Walmart 10w-30 and haven't had any issues. The stuff is like $10 a bottle (I get it from Summit for $10 a bottle, free ship at $100).

When roller cams were first put into production cars, it sure looked like things were looking up...Who would have thought it would have lead to oil problems for OLDER flat tappet engines ?

Yeah I don't want to be a chemist also. So you think with my small summit cam, it's not quite as big of a deal (ZDDP that is). As if I had a much larger cam ?

Ahhh, Small or Large... A Flat Tappet Cam needs Zinc (ZDDP)... I would use a break in additive at first... then go with Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty DIESEL 15W-40 Engine (dino) Oil... Or a similar oil that has the ZDDP additive already in it... Then there are no worries!!! And you don't have to be a chemist.... just a Driver!!!

Still a big deal I think. I just add half a bottle of Lucas break in additive in both my old flat tappet engines with 5 qt. of Walmart 10w-30 and haven't had any issues. The stuff is like $10 a bottle (I get it from Summit for $10 a bottle, free ship at $100).

I'm still thinking of doing that. By doing a 10w30 with additive. I would only have to buy one (type/brand/weight) of oil for all my cars. And just dump some ZDDP in my old 273.

Diesel oils have had a lot of the ZDDP pulled out of them because of cats on trucks now.

Might want to send a sample to blackstone to find out what's really in the oil for additives and go from there.

There is a lucas hot rod oil that is stupid heavy on Zn/Ph and requires only a couple ounces to adequately charge a 6 qt change.

When roller cams were first put into production cars, it sure looked like things were looking up...Who would have thought it would have lead to oil problems for OLDER flat tappet engines ?

High ZDDP PPMs screws up the cats. Rollers don't need as much.

Diesel oils have had a lot of the ZDDP pulled out of them because of cats on trucks now.

Might want to send a sample to blackstone to find out what's really in the oil for additives and go from there.

There is a lucas hot rod oil that is stupid heavy on Zn/Ph and requires only a couple ounces to adequately charge a 6 qt change.

Too many older diesel's on the road for them to just remove ZDDP... Just look for API Service CJ-4 or/and CL-4 Plus... But, what ever floats your boat... or car... :glasses7:

Why not run regular mineral oil with enhanced ZDDP so you don't have to worry about additives?

Too many older diesel's on the road for them to just remove ZDDP... Just look for API Service CJ-4 or/and CL-4 Plus... But, what ever floats your boat... or car... :glasses7:

So what's it got in it, PPM for each?

CJ-4 Rotella got reduced to about 1100 ppm of zinc, from about the 1400-1500 range of CI.
Ph went under 1K...

Apparently there aren't enough on the road to keep it from getting reduced. :) :glasses7:

-
Back