dip stick length

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
Need to know the length of the 225 dip stick. Got one because mine was missing and it dosn't read the oil level. Just changed the oil last week and added 2 more qts after putting in the dip stick and still no reading (she does burn some oil, but I dont think 2 qts in week). This dip stick that I got is 12 inches long ,from where it seats on the tube to the end. My motor is a 1972 225. Thanks in advance, Pete

I wish I could help, But I do know that if it's to long it can be hit buy the crank shaft and brake inside your engine. I would change the oil 5 quarts with oil filter siting level then pull a long dip stick out of another engine or trans and measure the length you need.
A tec will be here soon and hopefully help you out

This is exactly what happened to the lady I got the car from, the shop she used must have lost hers and replaced it with a newer cars stick. They used a grinder or something to make the fill marks. They must of knew that there was only one way to put this stick in so that it didn't hit the crank. When I checked the oil for the first time and then started the car up, the crank sheared the end of the stick off where they had used the grinder, must now be at the bootem of the pan because I haven't had any problem.

Here's mine. This is the length from where it seats on the tube.
When I had some engine work done, the rebuilder said my 225 is from a 1976 model.

dipstick.jpg

As Slantzilla says. It depends on the tube and oil pan. If it has been replaced then ??? How about a picture of the engine bay so we can see the size relationship and then of the oil pan (better yet if it has the "big" 3 digit backwards looking number on it just tell us that.
Frank

dippp
is the 3 on the pan, it's pretty diry. the tube from the block up is 9". tried to add pictures but i am challenged:munky2:

Sorry that should have read 3 digits like 687 or *** that are big 3" or so tall. Ill check my 74 and see how long it is.

Frank

dippp
is the 3 on the pan, it's pretty diry. the tube from the block up is 9". tried to add pictures but i am challenged:munky2:

You will need an 18" stick then.

Pan number is irrelevant. Dipstick/tube length changed by option. A/C cars got a much longer stick/tube than a non-A/C car with the same engine/pan.

I just relized that I never mentioned it was a dart swinger with ac, so the tube size at 9" is good but i need an 18" dipstick ?

-
Back