Dip Stick Question - Is it just me, or???

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Question for the FABO crew. When reading my 727's dip stick, one side reads filled and the shows way overfilled. been like this since I bought the car. I am confident it is not overfilled as it took 8 qts to bring the one side to the fill level when hot.

Just curious if this is common with out Torqueflites or is my car just weird?!

Thanks!
Pat

A tranny is not full because you put a certain number of quarts in it. That is an estimate. A tranny is full when the dipstick says so. Your tranny is a little over-full which is not usually a problem.

Hey Folks,

Question for the FABO crew. When reading my 727's dip stick, one side reads filled and the shows way overfilled. been like this since I bought the car. I am confident it is not overfilled as it took 8 qts to bring the one side to the fill level when hot.

Just curious if this is common with out Torqueflites or is my car just weird?!

Thanks!
Pat

Usually what happens is the stick touches the side of the tube when checking and gets fluid on it giving a false reading.
Sometimes a slightly different bend on the tip of the stick can be of help, and is actually why I put a 90 degree twist right at the end of the stick.
This makes the edge of the stick hit the tube sides instead of the flat of it.
Also, if it were me I would go by the low reading because that is the one which is more likely.

A tranny is not full because you put a certain number of quarts in it. That is an estimate. A tranny is full when the dipstick says so. Your tranny is a little over-full which is not usually a problem.

Yes, I know that. My comment was that I was confident it was not overfilled. Completely drained, changed filter, sealed it up and checked it hot after a short cruise. The "good" side is spot on full, "bad" side shows crazy overfill. Even given the fluid that was retained in the converter, I am sure that the side showing a significant overflow is a false reading.

But thanks for the concern.

Be well,
Pat

Usually what happens is the stick touches the side of the tube when checking and gets fluid on it giving a false reading.
Sometimes a slightly different bend on the tip of the stick can be of help, and is actually why I put a 90 degree twist right at the end of the stick.
This makes the edge of the stick hit the tube sides instead of the flat of it.
Also, if it were me I would go by the low reading because that is the one which is more likely.

That makes sense TrailBeast and thanks for the tip! I will try make that tweak after work tonight.

Thanks much,
Pat

?.... From the H.A.M.B......
dsc02012-jpg.jpg
727-dipstick-below-pan-surface-jpg.jpg

its above dipstick O-ring seal at rest for sure. Thats when you know you got a O-ring leak. Not sure of sector shaft. IMHO I think not but.....?

Do any of u guys know the fluid level in the trans. , depth wise/ in the static position ?
Meaning at what level it would be if u could see it . Above the shift seal or ---------

In my own experience fluid levels at rest (without any converter drainback) is about 1 inch above the pan rail, or just under the dipstick tube seal.
When a converter drains back it can go a lot higher even to the point of submerging the shift shaft and throttle pressure shaft seals.
Pishta's picture shows that pretty well.

A decent way of finding out what the normal level is to take the dipstick out and hold it next to the tube where it would be when in the tube and note where the full line is compared to the trans case and pan.
This gives a good estimate.

-
Back