Dipstick length

-

mopar56

Reaction score
I have a 71 318 that was removed from a dart that I put in my 56 pickup so obviously I used the rear sump truck oil pan, ( oem pan ) the dipstick goes into the r/f of the block beside the timing cover. I did not have a dipstick with this motor so I cut down I long one I had laying around based on the amount of oil I put in as a guide but I'm not sure it's correct could someone with a rear sump 318 please measure there's and let me know? Mine is 22.5 inches from the base of the stick under the handle to the tip. Thanks

Put the correct amount of oil in your engine and install your dipstick.
Cut or mark your dipstick at the appropriate level.

That is what I have already done, I believe I had 5 litres in it, it seemed to read correctly but later after only a few starts it read low, I believe I have around 6 in it now, I don't know exactly what it should have, 5.5..6? Anyway this is where it would be helpful to know the proper length of stick to start.

That is what I have already done, I believe I had 5 litres in it, it seemed to read correctly but later after only a few starts it read low, I believe I have around 6 in it now, I don't know exactly what it should have, 5.5..6? Anyway this is where it would be helpful to know the proper length of stick to start.
5 quarts with a filter. (Full sized like a 50515 Wix) Convert Litres to quarts as needed.

It doesn't matter how long the dipstick is.
What matters is the difference in the dipstick and the dipstick tube, then mix in the mark location.

There were multiple different lengths over the years both in the stick and the tube.

Alan

5 quarts with a filter. (Full sized like a 50515 Wix) Convert Litres to quarts as needed
Turns out quarts and liters are really close.
Screenshot_20240731-172248.png

Ok, I appreciate the help, as mentioned I already tried the above trick and I don't want to drain the oil, measure it and put back in, good point about the length of the tube I would have thought they were the same? However IF I had the measured length of the tube and stick on a 318 with a truck pan I think that would give me the info I need. If no one has this info I guess I'll wait until the next oil change.

Yes they are but a member that measures in Litres and a 50 year old dipstick that is calibrated in quarts could make a difference
Agreed, I was surprised that 5 liters and 5 qt were only a quarter of a liter difference.

So the op is overfilling by 1/4 liter or about 1/4 qt

Ok, Kim thankyou, this is the info I was looking for, I'm using Lucas Hot Rod oil with Zinc because of the age of the engine, it's sold here in Canada in US quarts which is 946 ml and I believe the first one I put in was a 5 US quart jug which did show on the stick but only around the add mark, I added another US quart now it looks better so 6 US quarts, or just under 6 liters so I believe my stick reading to be relatively accurate.

-
Back