Direct Connection K Frame?????

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I posted a local craigslist ad looking for parts. I had a guy reply said he had a Direct Connection k frame to put a RB into an A body. What exactly is this and whats it worth? Any added benefit to this? Any info on this would be great.

It was an over the counter k-frame to install a big block into an A-body. There weren't Schumaker motor mounts back then. Drag racers used them and often you will find them with spool mounts.
Several years ago they were valued at $400-$600 around here. I think much less now since it's easier to buy the right engine mounts to fit whatever k-frame you have. It would be neat to have if the price is right, especially if it's still in the wrapper.

It's a k frame that was made waay back in the 70's and 80's for mopar and sold through their direct connection parts program. It used to be the only way to put a big block into an A body,but now all you have to do is change the engine mounts. A set of new mounts from shumaker is only $150.

It would be more of a novelty to mount your big block this way as I cant really see an advantage.

I was thinking the same thing. If I could score it cheaper then a set of mounts it might be worth it. If not then there isnt really a benefit to it.

I was thinking the same thing. If I could score it cheaper then a set of mounts it might be worth it. If not then there isnt really a benefit to it.

If you have a 73 up smallblock K you could MAKE one , it's just a modified 73 up smallblock K .

If you have a 73 up smallblock K you could MAKE one , it's just a modified 73 up smallblock K .

Thats true! I forgot about the tech section over at bb dart. They have pics with measurements etc. but last I checked thier tech section was still empty. I think they had a crash and changed servers? Bill will get the tech section back up and running but wants to make some changes,add some more stuff etc..

Jim Lusk is the guy who wrote he page for bbd, he is a member here also...

"I looking to get 150.00 it has never been installed, if I remember right it was about 350.00 in 1980 when I bought it sorry I don’t have the torsion bars for it"

Schumacher wants $159 for there mounts and 15 to ship. This think i wouldnt owe any shipping and maybe able to talk him down a bit. If this works it saves me a few bucks on the mounts and its a novalty Item. Plus I dont have to mess around with making one from a 73 K frame which I dont have and would have to buy if I went that route.

So Buy it or pass it up?

Ya still have to buy what ever year c-body mounts to work with that k-frame. Unless he has those too. Seems so close in price for the two maybe you should just flip a coin.

I have heard that mopars fab work wasn't the nicest looking.

Not 100% sure. I thought I remember needing a certian c- body mount for it. Jim lusk would know for sure. Pm him.

I'd buy it, that's a good price IMO. The mounts that you already have will work.

Im thinking so too. If I buy the mounts its 159+ shipping. If I make a K frame I still have to buy a 73+ k frame (Probably $100 bucks if I can find one local) and still have to modify it which I dont have the right tools to do. Or buy this and its a bolt in deal for $150 and it sounds like what I got for mounts will work with it.

Ya still have to buy what ever year c-body mounts to work with that k-frame. Unless he has those too. Seems so close in price for the two maybe you should just flip a coin.

I have heard that mopars fab work wasn't the nicest looking.

I have a pair of 78 c body mounts out of a newport.Thier still bolted to the 400 in my garage. Pm me for details..

I also have a set of shumaker mounts.No thier not for sale but I can tell you it's nice stuff. Id still opt for a torque strap to be on the safe side plus it will just help the motor by transmitting it's motion to the drivetrain better.Les motor rotation equals better power tranfer,less body flex etc...

Well I scored it for $125 bucks. Ill take photos when I get it. Hes coming through my town Friday or Saturday. Anyone out there have good 340 bars?

Ok so here is good question. What will I be looking for on this to ensure its what he says it is? I have no reason not to trust him but wanna make sure what I think Im buying is what Im buying.

The engine mount brackets will be cut and welded back together.

I did yes Bruce. But what I cant see on that one is the way the mounts are on. I cant see if they were cut moved and welded.

This is an actually direct connection K frame. Wouldnt it be all one peice and not like one thats been fabbed?

No it's fabbed , the factory modified stock small block K frames , they cut off the top half of the spool mount , slide it back about 3/4" and welded it on , added flat plate as a gusset .

-
Back