Dis is My Ride!!!

-
Pat you have an AWESOME CAR and I would like to Thank you for the stories, and the info. you share with us. I wasn't around in the Glory Days of muscle cars and racing (I was born a couple of years too late, i guess hehehe) , but these stories remind me of a good friend that taught me alot about mopars over the past years. He's gone but the info. he passed down and the stories he would tell me , I will never forget. From one teacher to the next, Thanks

Any advice on a teacher that has 26 yrs to go till retirement hehehehe
Teaching is fun especially when you get Mopars involved.

Art G.

:read2: Ah yes.....my Hemi Roadrunner. When I was stationed at Fort Knox, I was seriously interested in buying one of the new Fairlanes that Ford was going to put out with the 427 medium riser dual quad engines with the big top loader 4-speed. I plunked down a $300 deposit (don't know why the font shifted) and waited 3-months. The dealer couldn't give me a delivery date. I confronted him personally and it was then that he told me that they were all "spoken for" and that I had to be in the who's who to have been on the list. I told him it was a fine time to tell me. I demanded my deposit back. I had heard rumors that Chrysler was going to be making a new lightweight performance car that was affordable for the youth market. When I got back to Maysville on the weekend, Iwent to Carpenter Motors and asked about it. Mr. Carpenter showed me the factory notice letter verifying it. I glady put down the $300 returned deposit and said, "I want one right now!" I ordered a red post coupe with a black vinyl top and tinted glass, standard AM radio, drum brakes (that was dumb), 426 Hemi, 4-speed, Dana 60, 4.10 sure Grip.
The car came 2 months later, complete with rubber matted floor and taxi cab vinyl seat covers. It came off the truck on a cold winter morning around 6:00 am. My buddy Jerry Rains from Rains Automotive knew I ordered it and he beat me to the dealer's as it was being unloaded. He was a Mopar man that raced a S/S stage 3 max wedge Coronet 440 2-dr sedan. I told him I was going to bring it to him to have Cyclone headers and an adjustable pinion snubber installed. If the dealer knew, it would void the short warranty. We got that stuff done and then upgraded with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Everyone in town wanted me to take them for a ride and beat on it! I didn't do that very much. My girlfriend really loved the Hemi too.
It didn't take long at the drive-in circuit before some guys wanted a piece of it. Most didn't care if they got beat - they just wanted to see how their ride compared and, of course, wouldn't put up any cash. After getting tired of this routine, I made it known that all runs would be $20 or more. That may not sound like a bunch of money but back then it really was. My car payment was $135 a month on a $3,400 car. (By the way, my Roadrunner was number 6! and the very first one produced with the Hemi. It would be worth a fortune today at Barrett Jackson)
The hot cars were now coming out of southern Ohio....Ripley and West Union and some from Portsmouth. A guy in West Union had bought a Hurst Olds 442. He made the trip down to Aberdeen and the drive-in circuit and pulled in next to me and Jane. We made small talk and got out to inspect each other's cars. It wasn't long before he asked for a race and he pulled out $20. Jane didn't want me to do it but it was time for her to be home or get grounded. I crossed the river and met up with "The Mailman" (that's what we called him because he worked at the Post Office in West Union). A crowd of about 100 people had gathered from all over, excited to see the race. It had become very dangerous to race on 52 because of two lanes and so many people lined the edges of the road to watch. Cars and people lined the whole quater mile on both sides of the road!! They were standing right by your car when you popped the clutch! I took mailman aside and told him we needed to race at an alternate place and not say where and he agreed. Well, it didn't work out. We could not stop the long line of cars on our tails. We did go to Mary Inglis Hwy on the Kentucky side of the River where we had a quarter marked off. It too was two lane but it was new black top and wider. Of course friends and fools dangerously lined the roads there too. We agreed on a best of 3 and raised the stakes to $100. Jerry Rains was going to be the flashlight starter and the mailman's friend would verify at the finish line and signal. Jerry had brought some of that yellow rosin traction powder and sprinkled it down and broomed it in for both of us. We did our burnouts through it and line up to run. We had to back off to let an 18-wheeler get through and then took our places again. We left dead even and stayed that way through first and second. That 455 really had the torque with the 4.10 gears. I shifted the Hemi at 7,000 rpm and his Olds was way out of beans in that area. By the time I was midway through 3rd gear I was ahead by a least a car and pulling. The Hemi pulled strong in fourth and I easily won the first round. We turned around and came back to race the other way. He jumped out and let some of the air out of his rear tires hoping for a traction advantage. I actually INCREASED my rear pressure when I raced with street tires and it worked far better! We left even (no rosin) and the Olds went up in rubber smoke. The 2,500 rpm leave with the Hemi let it hook good just before the second gear shift just running on the rear AFB. All 8 barrels were sucking just before the 2nd gear power shift. At that point the Mailman was clearly visible in my rearview mirror. By the other end I had pulled him at least 5-cars. We turned around again on the rosin starting line ready to go when a guy came up and shouted that someone had called the cops and that the Sherrif and Highway Patrol were on the way. People started to scatter everywhere and half the crowd instantly disappeared. I asked Mailman what he wanted to do and he said "run 'em". His man got in the car with him and Jerry got in with me. His man said, "On the count of 3". Even with the rosin, the Olds didn't hook and I just drove away. He knew he was beat and just let off. We turned into the side road by the cemetary and turned off our lights. Just as the Mailman was paying me, a trooper flew by at about 100 with light flashing! He probably drove all the way to Augusta trying to catch us. We drove the other way back into town. When we got into Maysville, the Sherrif was waiting and he pulled out behind me, flashed his lights and pulled me over. He gave me the 3rd degree and checked my driver's license. He couldn't ticket me or arrest me because he didn't catch me in the act. He said so himself. Before he went back to his car, he leaned in the window and with a smile said, "Did the Hemi win?". Jerry and I laughed and then I showed the man my rolled up $100. He laughed and said, "I know your daddy and I'm gonna tell him!"
We all went home and behaved ourselves. Mailman hated losing but he was a good sport. He went on to spend a ton of money on his engine. The next time we both raced was on slicks, on rosin, on hwy 52, one run only. The Maysville Hemi beat him by 2-cars and here is the good part....that run was for $500! I took a trip to Florida!
Pat

Hello Art Garcia!
Thanks for your kind words. Wow, you have a long row to hoe with 26-years! I took early retirement because I couldn't stand it anymore. The last 8-years, I taught middle and high school at an alternative ed. All the kids that were rotten in their zoned schools were sent there. They were the products of bad parenting and all the evils that have come to today's society. Some of them were precious young people and worked things out. Others went on to be career criminals. For the most part, they respected me and it was because I showed respect until they themselves destroyed it. I had the ESE groups with serious disabilities, emotional and behavioral and being a self-contained classroom, I had to teach all across the curriculum. Administrators gradually destroyed everything that was helping me reach these kids. Permissiveness and lack of consequences put the bad kids more in control. I became a baby sitter for kids with rotten behavior. I was voted "Teacher of the Year" at two schools. With my curriculum load and the need to spend all weekend doing lesson plans keyed to the Sunshine State Standards, I wasn't happy doing it anymore. They required me to take 300 inservice hours of training for reading mediation (I had 10th graders who couldn't read!!) with no increase in pay. Then they said since I teach all the academics, I had to redo all my certification at my expense and again....with no increase in pay. I said adios amigos! Now I don't have acid reflux and I'm never sick. I get to play with my cars and this computer! I have time to do things that increase quality of life for my wonderful wife. I wish the best for you. Look for open-eyed administrators that can see the value in your efforts and not beat you down. I'll bet you are a wonderful teacher and your kids love you. God bless all that you put your hands to.
Pat

Pat, as always, your stories are pure history! I am going to save them on my computer and, if you ever get the desire, I will edit them to your satisfaction. Perhaps you might some day want to publish them for the world to see. I have some favorite shots I took of Big and Shirley up on Long Island at a P.R.O. race a lifetime ago. They were printed on satin finish paper, not glossy, so I hope they scan well. I will post them here in this thread.

P.S. I missed the no-billet show by one week. My wife and I were actually driving back home from Orlando on I-75 when the show was going on last Saturday. We were at the museum on 3/17 when they were tuning and testing the dragster outside the shop.

P.P.S. I also took some shots of that hemi-powered air raid siren!

P.P.P.S. Please keep the stories coming at your leisure.

Thanks.

Fishbreath, you are a real gentleman. Feel free to edit. I can't type as fast as my mind goes and I present as If I were talking to all you guys face-to-face. I am so glad that you and all the other fine people who show me such kindness enjoy my stories. I never imagined anyone would care. I would love to see your pictures!!! Please do that! From the heart, thank you.
Pat

PS: Glad you got to see the hemi siren and SW V!

Hey Ramcharger,
I will pass your kind words and the words of others on to Don. He is very aware that he has made a name for himself and is smart enough to capitalize on it. He probably makes a lot more money now than when he did racing. Don is not at all arrogant but he commands a high level of respect. When we are on tour with the shows, he signs so many autographs and souvenirs. Richard Petty is the only man I've seen that compares when it comes to that. He never refuses and stops to have his picture taken with fans young and old. I'm feeling kind of special myself.....I'm blessed to have my long time hero as a personal friend at this point in my life.

oh man great story Pat...it takes a mopar to catch a mopar! These stories you have are awesome...its like history class, only mopar style...I wish there was a mopar history class at my school and you and guys like Garlits taught it lol

A long time ago...

The guy in the background needs a manssiere.

Copy of big daddy (Medium).jpg

Hey Ramcharger,
I will pass your kind words and the words of others on to Don.

Thank you!

He is very aware that he has made a name for himself and is smart enough to capitalize on it. He probably makes a lot more money now than when he did racing.

Good for him, he deserves it.

Don is not at all arrogant but he commands a high level of respect. When we are on tour with the shows, he signs so many autographs and souvenirs. Richard Petty is the only man I've seen that compares when it comes to that. He never refuses and stops to have his picture taken with fans young and old.

Maybe some day I'll be lucky enough to get pic of him and I. That pic would be framed and hung in my house till the day I kick the bucket, lol.

I'm feeling kind of special myself.....I'm blessed to have my long time hero as a personal friend at this point in my life.

It sounds as though you've lived quite the life! :cheers: Generally people who have these kinds of experiences deserve it. :) Keep the stories coming but don't wear yourself out. I want to keep looking for new stories every week!

A long time ago...

The guy in the background needs a manssiere.

Great pic Fish! To bad you couldn't photoshop the fat guy out and put in some babe-o-rama, lol. Is it my imagination or is that an iron hemi head?

Thanks Pat!

I guess some things will never change hehehe. The majority of the kids are pretty cool, and well......administrators that's a whole different chapter.

Jeeze, Ram, good eye! I never noticed that. The picture was taken in either 1974 or 1975. I know that Black and Pink were casting aluminum blocks by that time, but I am unsure about heads. Did the aluminum heads have coolant passages cast into them back then? I think only Top Fuel and Funny Cars (blown) were using aluminum blocks at the time.

Maybe Pat can check out the picture; he might know.

I just saw this thread and read through it all, what great stories, is there room for me on the bandwagon? :-D

Great stories Pat and I'm glad you could be here to share them. Kind of brings back memoirs of my own since my first Mopar was a 69 383 4 speed runner and it was no slouch. A buddy of mine, a few years back, had a 69 Hemi Runner complete with the cold air induction and 4 speed and I used to run against him with a dual 4, 440, 4 speed 69 Super Bee and he'd beat me then I'd beat him, we were pretty equal. I'm playing with A bodies now and they still keep the blood pumping. This site has a great group of members (not including Ramcharger, Just kidding LOL) with a ton of experience and no how. I wish that there was this type of infor around when I started building Mopars.

Please continue to tell your stories Pat and who knows maybe the man himself, Big Daddy, could chide in with a "how do you do".

Terry

Have you guys heard the Bruce Springsteen song, Glory Days? Well, that's what it was. My heroes/friends are slowly disappearing. I'm now a retired school teacher at age 62 and there is still a "little boy" in my mind. Guys, tomorrow is promised to no one. What we have is TODAY! We need to do the most with it. I could go on and on about my fun days of drag racing. Do any of you remember Starvin' Marvin Schwartz? He was another friend and very unique. He was a master parts scrounger! You couldn't help but like him; the perenial underdog that would never give up. I had a collection of Hemi parts back in the day...a set of Bob Lambeck Pro Stock aluminum dual plug heads and a 5/8 stroker crank I bought used from Jerry Gwynn (Darrell's dad who ran the alcohol funny car, the Baby Huey). Marvin had already run close to the Top Fuel record with motors built from peoples scrap. Well, he talked me into loaning him the heads and I gave him the crank. He robbed a set of fuel pistons from Chuck Quenzler and I think he got a blower from Art Malone. We went to Gainesville and as I remember, he was number 2 qualifier. Garlits was number one and Garlets beat Marvin but it wasn't a cake walk. Marvin really respected Don. When we got out of the truck at Gainesville, he told me, "Pat, if you want to see how it is really done right, go over there and watch Garlits put on a tune and see how Ed sets up a clutch". It wasn't long after that when Marvin lost his life in a crash. I don't know what ever happened to my heads but I don't care. I'd have Marvin back if I could...and Ronnie...and Billy....and Dick...and Reid....and Nicholson.
Garlits emailed me this morning to ask if I would go on the trip to Virginia Motorsports Park in May with him. Of course I'm going. We have a lot of fun. I met another FABO member on my Trip with Don to Ocean City, MD and it was Tony Harlen, know as HEMI GTS on the site. You should see his awesome Dart!!!
Don still hasn't gotten the new Hemi Challenger race car yet from Chrysler. I think the financial mess will nix the whole thing. You know he was flown out to Bandemere in Denver to race it against Judy Lily in a similar car. Don won the match race. Then the car went back to Detroit. Don still hasn't gotten the new duallie they promised either. I love the one he has now! I guess that's all I have to say for now. Best wishes to all you guys.
Pat

Pat. As you and I are about the same age, (you have me by a year) I can really appreciate all of your stories and old friends as they were the guys that I followed growing up in drag racing in the Northeast (You may recall Dover Dragstrsip up in Wingdale NY, National Speedway and Suffolk County Raceway and of couse Raceway Park in Englishtown? Those were ( and still are, in the case of E TOWN) my hangouts.

And yes Tony's Dart is a cool car. I met him last year at a show in Rockland County NY.

As an A-Body guy, you might like my car as well.
Here is 1969 my 440 Dart GTS and I also included pictures of Tony's Hemi Dart form the same day.

The last picture is my original '72 340 Demon taken back in 1985 three years before I sold it.

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

DSC03075.jpg

DSC03095.jpg

DSC03097.jpg

Resized340DemonMikeandTim.jpg

I'm in Hobe Sound FLA- East coast about 40 minutes North of West Palm Beach.

Maybe we'll hook up sometime. I'd love to see that Demon close up.

Chas

I just found this thread and read it through. Great stories and I love you Demon! Before I read anything about it, I was going to ask where it came from and if you had verified if it had any pro stock history. The care really shows like an old school Pro stock racer. I noticed the slanted nose right away. Very cool.

WoW! Don't I feel privleged!!!he's even more fun in person at the cookouts at my house or at his (of course he cooks better than me)gives me jitters when some of his old friends stop by and the chattin starts,have gotten to hear lot's of stories during our years of friendship and all I can tell ya is even better in person!!!and you ain't never had a friend that would get down and boogie woogie while helping you block out your waggin for paint and custom stripes like pat...It's been a lot of fun doin projects with you Thank's Dawg!!!
WOOF!!!!!!!!

patwagginstripe.JPG

patflingingpaint.JPG

patsdart.JPG

What a great picture, Fishbreath! Please send a copy of it to my email address and I'll send it on to Don and see what he has to say about, OK?
[email protected]

Rob,
I, for one, would love to have you on the band wagon!
Pat

Greetings Demonseed. I sure like your car! I'll mention the site to Don but don't count on him doing anything. He just doesn't have the time to spend and it's not that he doesn't care. He gets tons of emails daily and he sorts what needs an answer and often just clicks delete if he thinks it is wasting his time. He spends a lot of time running down parts and info for his museum restorations. He works, as I said, 7-days a week @ 300mph with his hair on fire. He turned 77 on Jan. 14 but you would never know it to look at him. He still works with fierce intensity and focus. He is as fearless a daredevil as Evel Knevel ever was. Don is a mechanical genius with a God-given intuity tied to creativity. He is an avid reader, including the Bible. He even works out several days a week at home. Big Daddy has a memory like you would not believe! I think when he passes away, he'll want a hemi for a head stone!
Pat

Hello chasb!
Great pictures!! That '69 Dart looks incredible - far better than when it was new. Did you do all the work yourself? Tony's Hemi just humbles me. Did you notice how big that dude is? Wouldn't want to piss him off! If you can make it to Floral City sometime you are welcome to visit! I wish I could meet and shake the hand of everyone on this thread.
Pat

-
Back