Disaster averted

-

edbux

Reaction score
The other day I thought my mechanical fuel pump died, cursed and moaned while ordering a new one. As I put the new one in, the arm didn't seem to be sitting right on the eccentric. I took a screw driver and went in thru the fuel pump opening in the timing cover and could move the eccentric around.

Took everything apart and sure enough the eccentric was laying on the cam's snout with the bolt maybe one thread screwed in. I look at my check list from the last time I changed the cam and it says it was torqued by me. I've been a little anal ever since my friend forgot to tighten the lug nuts on one rear wheel of his 65 Mustang. Aside from the damage to his car, the runaway wheel caused three other cars to wreck, shut down the Santa Monica Freeway and his insurance dropped him after that claim....to be 17 and cause a wreck...this was in 1973. Ever since then, I have a check list for everything that needs tightening and/or torquing.

Imagine my embarrassment (and cost) if the bolt had fallen out and made it's way between the timing sprocket and the chain? I was planning to to Firebird that weekend for some arm drop racing with the dude from Pinks.

Just to be sure, I put a dab of locktite on the bolt and thanked God it wasn't a chevy....

oh man did you get lucky. glad ya caught it in time. i always use loc tight on tha bolt.

-
Back