Disc brake conversion kit for an A body Barracuda

-

LouieD

Reaction score
Looking for advice on how to convert an A body Barracuda front brake... system to a disc brake system...anyone out here to help? Also, where can I go to purchase the parts?

You can use the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston setup that originally came on the 67'-72' a bodies or use the 73' up disc setup along with the 73' up big ball joint upper a arms. Stating what year your car is will help with recommendations from others

I'm happy with my Scarebird kit. Kept my small bolt pattern and have drilled and slotted rotors for around 350 bucks.

I saw this on ebay, Im considering this, eBay item number:

I just completed a front disk upgrade on my 68 Dart. I used a kit from Stainless Steel Brake Corp. (SSBC). The new setup mounted directly to the existing spindle. Many of the kits I was looking at needed the existing spindle to be replaced. Everything needed was included and the direction were fairly straight forward. I used the 4 piston calipers and they fit inside of my 14" factory stamped wheels. This was another of SSBC's advantages. Many of the other companies require 15" wheels. Everything including shipping was around $1100.00.

Hey Louie, I have a 68 Dart and used the disc brake kit from "Engineered Componets, Inc. Their kit has everything you need. Just google their web site and look their stuff over. Give them a call, they know what they are doing.

Welcome to FABO LouieD. I think the first thing you have to do is determin weather you the original 4" bolt pattern or upgrade to the 4.5 BP.
All great choices above. I went with the SS brakes (A153) option as I kept the 4" BP but has the option to upgrade to the 4.5 later.

Attachments

• brakes1.1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 362
I went with the Scarebird setup 4-5 years ago and haven't had one problem with them. And the price can't be beat. I have $250 -300 in the complete conversion with all new parts.

Before I scored the factory parts (A-body V8 k-member with discs) I was searching around for kits to do this same swap.

Scarebird was on the list, mainly for price reasons. Can't beat it.

I also looked at the SSBC kit, as well as this one from Wilwood, which is somewhat reasonably priced:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-11022

There are a number of options out there - I guess it just depends on how much you can spend, and whether or not you want to keep the small bolt pattern and 14" wheels.

Hi,

Welcome to FABO! I went with the Scarebird set up for my 69 Barracuda and am in the middle of the conversion now. I have/had 10" drums on the front and the Scarebird installation is going very smoothly. With some careful shopping at Rockauto.com the project cost is going to be somewhere between $250 and $300 including a new master cylinder. It's been very cold up here and my basement garage is often down in the low 30's if it were warmer the project would be going much more quickly. But, none of that is a problem with the Scarebird set up.

I can keep my SBP wheels so the backs still all match up( one spare tire) and with a little very minor grinding on the edge of the callipers the steel "poverty rims" still fit.

Need to know if your car has 9" drums or 10" drums. The spindles vary. Scarebird (and others) have a kit for each.

No no no... Don't listen to these people with their puny brakes. Bigger is better!

Seriously though, there are lots of options. It just depends on what wheels and spindles you want to run. For sbp, you can't go wrong with Scarebird or the factory KH discs. For BBP I'd probably go with Dr Diff or Wilwood. Again, whichever spindle you plan on using will determine which brake kit you'll end up with.

Attachments

• Suspension Completed 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Wheel Test Fit.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Car 6.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 317
I went with the 73 charger disc brake set-up and the 70s A body upper control arm with the large ball joint. I use my car as a daily driver and when I need new brake parts I want to be able to go down to the parts store and get them right then and there. The only problem with some of the aftermarket systems is that you're car is down until the stuff arrives in the mail if you need replacement parts. So if you don't use your car as a daily driver then it probably doesn't matter. I just upgraded to fully adjustable upper control arms so I'll be selling my 70s A body large ball joint control arms. They were completely overhauled with all new parts just 10 months ago. They even have the new offset moog bushing installed for better alignment options.

Good Luck with your brake upgrade.

Treblig

-
Back