disc brake conversion questions....

-

tubbedamx

Location Boise, Idaho
Reaction score
Hi, I have a '67 cuda that I am in the middle of converting to the '73 and later disc brakes...and I have a couple of questions. First off I have a '67 plymouth service manual and I have read it untill my eye balls get screwy. Also, if any of this stuff is in that manual would you be kind enough to let me know which page...

questions:
1) what is the foot pound torque spec for the lower two spindle bolts? These are the two larger bolts that go into the bottom of the spindle and into the steering arm.

2) what is the foot pound spec for the caliper bracket to the spindle?? These are the two bolts that screw into the back of the spindle and act as a guide for the disc brake shield.

3) When looking at the '67 manual it refers to to 3 types of disc brakes?? Since I am going with '73 and later I am going to assume that information is not in that book. I have what appears a single piston caliper, what style of brake is that?? Bendix??
3A) Where can I find a copy of torque specs for the '73 and later equipment that I am installing??

Torsion bars: Which way to they go in??
4) Bar 1 has an L stamped in it and bar 2 has a R stamped in it.

Does, bar 1 "Driver side" with the L stamp face the rear of the car and like wise bar 2 "Passenger side" with the R stamp face the rear of the car when installed?

Thanks Again I do Really Appreciate your Help!!!!!
Jim

Aren't those castle nuts with cotter pins on the ball joint/knuckle bolts.... which means tight untill the holes line up.....

The bars on my 71 was installed with the number and letter to the front. L=left/driver, R=right/passenger.
Also on mine I tightened the castle nuts then backed off until the hole lined up with the slot. I could not find torque specs for the lower ball joint, so I just tightened it up till i was satisfied they were tight.

you will need to get those torq specs from a later models manual.
Never back up on a castle nut ( where tapered fit is employed ) to get the cotter pin hole aligned. Always tighten more as required. Torsion bars should always be marked before removal. The L and R should have been visible at the rear ends from the factory.

thanks for the replies....I'll see if I can get my hands on a later manual. A friend of mine has a 73 duster.

Getting closer to getting a barracuda on the road..

I have a Chiltons auto repair manual for 66 to 73 year model and it does not show a spec for torque on the front end parts at all.
I just tighten as far as it wants to go at a good 30 lb I will guess on all your brake and front end parts, I just pull like hell on a good 1/2" socket and pin it.
this is just what I do so it may be wrong, but I have never lost a shoe or tie rod or ball joint.

Go to the Mopar Action website, Ehrenberg does a whole dissertation on this subject and posts torque specs. It's the Disc-O-Tech article in the tech archive.

Hi, I have a '67 cuda that I am in the middle of converting to the '73 and later disc brakes...and I have a couple of questions. First off I have a '67 plymouth service manual and I have read it untill my eye balls get screwy. Also, if any of this stuff is in that manual would you be kind enough to let me know which page...

questions:
1) what is the foot pound torque spec for the lower two spindle bolts? These are the two larger bolts that go into the bottom of the spindle and into the steering arm.

2) what is the foot pound spec for the caliper bracket to the spindle?? These are the two bolts that screw into the back of the spindle and act as a guide for the disc brake shield.

3) When looking at the '67 manual it refers to to 3 types of disc brakes?? Since I am going with '73 and later I am going to assume that information is not in that book. I have what appears a single piston caliper, what style of brake is that?? Bendix??
3A) Where can I find a copy of torque specs for the '73 and later equipment that I am installing??

Torsion bars: Which way to they go in??
4) Bar 1 has an L stamped in it and bar 2 has a R stamped in it.

Does, bar 1 "Driver side" with the L stamp face the rear of the car and like wise bar 2 "Passenger side" with the R stamp face the rear of the car when installed?

Thanks Again I do Really Appreciate your Help!!!!!
Jim

If I understand you correctly, these are the best answers I can come up with.

1. 40 ft/lbs
2. 25 ft/lbs
3. The 73 & later A-body and early floating caliper B-body brakes I have seen have Delco-Morraine casting marks on the caliper.
3A. ChryCo service manual, Dart/Valiant Repair manual published by Haynes (out of print, sometimes on e-bay)
4. The line that bisects the male end of the socket goes in the rear.
Yes.

-
Back