Disc brake conversion

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a complete kit for 69 Dart to fit 14 inch rims. I don't want to change the spindles. Thanks for your input.

for 14's your best bet is SSBC

however, a lot of aftermarket rims do not work with aftermarket brake kits. check their fitment diagram that's included on the page and use that to ascertain fitment.

for 14's your best bet is SSBC

[/URL][/URL]

however, a lot of aftermarket rims do not work with aftermarket brake kits. check their fitment diagram that's included on the page and use that to ascertain fitment.
1000005880.jpg

These are my Wheels 14 inch, not sure of the width.

Last edited:
Take a look at Classic Industries. It looks like the ABS kits use the stock spindles and will fit under a 14” wheel. I used the MBM Brake kit w/ spindles that gets rebranded by Pirate Jake, In-line Tube and a host of others.

I used SSBC on my '71 Dart GT.

My car had the 5 on 4" small bolt pattern HD 10" front drums. My car also has the factory installed a-body 8 3/4" 741 case rear end that I didn't want, or need, to change.

I was able to keep the factory 14" X 5 1/2" Rallye wheels which clear the SSBC brakes perfectly.

However, factory 14" X 5 1/2" STEEL wheels did NOT fit/clear on my car (so much for body color steelies & red line dog dish caps).

SSBC wasn't cheap, but it was a complete kit. I would use them again.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy a kit with proprietary wear and maintenance parts, you'll only be able to do brake jobs as long as the company is in business and offers them for sale.
Some OEM based kits don't have this issue.

Looking for suggestions for a complete kit for 69 Dart to fit 14 inch rims. I don't want to change the spindles. Thanks for your input.
If it's a street car, I suggest just leaving the stock brakes on it. Once you start changing things with aftermarket stuff, it becomes more work than it's worth sometimes, especially when it comes to replacing those parts when they are worn. If you really really really want disc brakes, locate some factory or OE replacement parts that can be adapted along with the proper brake booster. That's right! Power brakes is almost a must have with disc brakes.

Everything I stated goes for any normal street car, don't let's the fools on TV and the interwebs and at the cars shows make you think you need to modernize by changing good parts.

If it's a street car, I suggest just leaving the stock brakes on it. Once you start changing things with aftermarket stuff, it becomes more work than it's worth sometimes, especially when it comes to replacing those parts when they are worn. If you really really really want disc brakes, locate some factory or OE replacement parts that can be adapted along with the proper brake booster. That's right! Power brakes is almost a must have with disc brakes.

Everything I stated goes for any normal street car, don't let's the fools on TV and the interwebs and at the cars shows make you think you need to modernize by changing good parts.
So the thing is I'm just not comfortable with the drum brakes stopping ability.

I still have the car in my Avatar.
10 inch drums.
I used to regularly tow a 16ft ski boat full of equipment, 4 folks and a dog, trunk full of camping gear, back and forth over the Rockies, then load the boat full of flats of fruit and bring it all home over the mtns again.
No drama .

So the thing is I'm just not comfortable with the drum brakes stopping ability.
Some important questions:

What is the car being used for?

Have you ever driven a vehicle with properly adjusted drum brakes?

Have you ever driven a vehicle that at least has rear drum brakes?

Some important questions:

What is the car being used for?

Have you ever driven a vehicle with properly adjusted drum brakes?

Have you ever driven a vehicle that at least has rear drum brakes?
I had an Impala 64 SS several years ago with power drum brakes and it seemed to stop fine. My mechanic just bled and adjusted my brakes and it helped some. They will not lock up when you try to.

I had an Impala 64 SS several years ago with power drum brakes and it seemed to stop fine. My mechanic just bled and adjusted my brakes and it helped some. They will not lock up when you try to.
If you cannot lock up the brakes, then something is not right with the system.

-
Back