Disc brake cooling, anyone done any ducts, scoops or....?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Haven't got any dust shields for my disc brake set up so was thinking of making my own with a ducted cooling scoop or something. Anyone tried making something? Interested to see what crazy stuff anyones tried.

If anything, I'd imagine most people would get a chin spoiler and cut ducts through that or set the brake ducts off to the side of the spoiler.

I have had, with my old dart, especially with triple figure speeds, I was thinking because I don't have dust shields for the disc brake set up I'm putting on my 75 duster, about making scoops or something on some dust shields, that would direct cool air on them.

Best bet would be a chin spoiler with like Howe ducts on it . A lot of my buddies race bmw and they all got them . The only prob is when street driving they will stay to cool and not work properly . So making ducts with removable covers would be a good idea . Wanna go race pull them off , cruising keep them on . Mine are for a snorkle intake but same idea . And terrible pics I know lol . Hope this helps

image.jpg

image.jpg

I found in general racing (rallying) that running without shields was cooler than with them in any form. But the dust and dirt could be problematic, especially when it became muddy. I have bent the dust shield out to catch air but that was not as effective. If you really want cooling, ducts up from front are the way to go. It is kinda like a cool air package for the intake; the only consistently good spot is out in the clean air.

If you are drag racing, though, scoops might add a bit of wind drag....what is you actual use? Bonneville? Road race? Running moonshine?

Dust shields are almost 100% useless. I don't run them on any of my cars anymore and haven't for tens of thousands of miles. Lots of mud might be the only exception, and I'm not totally convinced on that either but I don't run any of my stuff in deep mud often enough to know myself. All of my cars get driven on gravel roads. Dust shields are useless on gravel. The road dust gets through, the brake dust doesn't get out, the heat is held close to the rotors. And as an added bonus, every now and then a rock gets trapped between the shield and the rotor. That's lots of fun.

Brake ducts are pretty much a race only deal. As already pointed out they can actually be detrimental for street driving, although mostly I figure they just don't do much under normal street conditions. If your brakes are overheating and fading on the street you've got other problems.

-
Back