Disc brake/spindle ID

-

Air Grabbler

Reaction score
Can anyone help me positively identify these?

Thank you.

21ADB2B4-D014-445C-8EC9-023190D319FD.jpeg

3095EAAF-31EA-40AB-8A29-D96EA71A195C.jpeg

kelsey hayes 4 piston stock front brakes.

65~72 for a body although they also came on B & C bodies as well.

These are 4.5” bolt circle on A body spindles. They allegedly came off a factory SS Dart but memories can fade, and many cars come and go over the course of 55+ years (has it really been that long?!).

Are there any ways to verify?

interesting. i was under the impression that you couldn't run the BBP discs and calipers on the A spindle because it was too short and the caliper did not bolt up.

is it possible the hub has been redrilled?

anything is possible when talking about these cars, but the documentation is out there for them.

KH disks with a modified Mustang rotor? Would give you a KH disk brake set up with a 4.5” bolt pattern…

Verify the BC on the rotors, the Hemi A bodies used the KH disc brakes but had a 4.5” BC as opposed to stock A body 4” BC. Plus the long wheel studs. Maybe @ns1rm21 @GTX JOHN or @davescuda

I have seen 1 pair in person so I’m no expert.

Cliff Ramsdell

Big $$$ items !!
Actually not to bad. Because usually they came off a real car that somebody’s owned and usually looking to sell to someone doing a real car from my experience. It’s usually a pretty good price that’s what I found out building in Tom Mile‘s car.

Last edited:
These are 4.5” BC with 1/2” studs. I need to verify the casting numbers, but so far I have no reason to doubt the story that they came off the factory L029 Dart campaigned by the seller.

I bought them to put on a clone car I’m building, but I’ve amassing enough original parts over the years that I'm beginning to think I should look for an unrestored original car. I inquired about Lil Thumper but found that it has already sold.

Davescuda: thanks for the picture. Mine looks very similar to your picture and the casting number on the caliper looks to be the same. I noticed that the driver’s side studs on mine are right hand thread and look to have been replaced. Were yours left hand thread?

Thanks!

kelsey hayes 4 piston stock front brakes.

65~72 for a body although they also came on B & C bodies as well.
To clarify your reply.
B Body cars used BENDIX disc brakes 1966-69
C Body cars used BUDD disc drakes 1966-69
A body cars were KELSEY HAYES from 1965-72.

Last edited:
To clarify your reply.
B Body cars used BENDIX disc brakes
C Body cars used BUDD disc drakes
A body cars were KELSEY HAYES from 1965-72.
thanks for the clarification jim.

it's one of those things that's evident when you're holding them in your hands or staring at them on the bench, but few have that experience.

-
Back