Disc Converstion Help 71 Swinger

-

cjackson3396

Reaction score
I recently aquired a 71 Swinger....buttload of parts came with it along with about everything I need to complete a disc brake conversion up front. My question is what all will i need...

Things I have: Everything from a 73 dart. A-arms, spindles, along with rotors calipers, front brake lines...

I think Im going to need the brake booster and new master cylnder too or isn't that required? Please any information would be greatly appreciated I have never done this before..

PS: also came with the new matching upper and lower ball joints

..I have already switched spindles and a-arms so what I am worried about is If i need the booster or not and what All i need for that part of the job brake pedal and whatnot..and When I mocked it up today when I turned sharply to the right the driversaide caliper hits the sway arm...any ideas? When i looked at conversion kits they dont include anything to fix or change that issue?

did you mount the calipers on the front or back side of the spindle
you can mount the calipers on either side i prefer the back
just make sure the bleeder screw is on the top of the caliper
unless you want power brakes all you need is the proper master cylinder

The spindles I have came off a 73 Dart and only alow for the front mount...I wish they mounted on the back I wouldn't have this issue lol

but then the Lower balljoints don't line up with the tie-rods...its rear steer.

lol well if it works i hope everything comes apart easy..since it allready together

The ball joints are bolted to the spindles. Just unbolt them, keep them on the same side. Swap spindles from side to side and your in business.

k...when kids wake up I'll go tear into it and lets you guys know...thanks again!!! :)

again just make sure the bleeders on top of
the caliper not on the bottom.If they are on the
bottom you'll never get the air out of them.
Good luck

The length and routing of the fluid lines can be an issue. One meber said he layed the calipers on top of the spindle with bleeder pointed up long enough to bleed them . Installed with the bleeders pointed down caused the 73 fluid line to fit better than the other way.
What ever works best I guess. Good luck

The length and routing of the fluid lines can be an issue. One meber said he layed the calipers on top of the spindle with bleeder pointed up long enough to bleed them . Installed with the bleeders pointed down caused the 73 fluid line to fit better than the other way.
What ever works best I guess. Good luck

I've als used 73+ b body rubber hoses in the past to get around this problem or bent the steel part on the a body ones a little different

Well it didn't take long...it all went together smoothly thanks again guys!!!...all I gotta do now is run new lines..ended up breaking them trying to take apart...I have already bought the 73 lines they will work?

I've als used 73+ b body rubber hoses in the past to get around this problem or bent the steel part on the a body ones a little different

I've done that too but it's tricky. That hard drawn tubing doesn't bend easy and could crack if bent right at the banjo block. Then what looks good initially could hit the inside of the wheel. It is doable at least.

a lot of us have been there done that and hopefully learned
something along the way.Don't be afraid to ASK
Glad it worked out

I used Volare brake hoses and removed the bracket in the middle. You can position the banjo fitting to allow the hose to flex correctly.
brakes.jpg

Hi everyone,I have done a drum to disc conversion on my 1968 Dart.I used the parts off a 1976 Dart.I cant remember if the 1976 Dart had power or manual brakes and dont have axcess to the car anymore. I want to stay with the manual brakes for now,my question is..what master cylinder do I order? Manual or power.The listing my jobber has is power with disc or manual with drum??????? Thanks .

-
Back