Disc or drum

-

Joker13

Reaction score
I am finally getting ready to do the front end rebuild on the 68 Barracuda. Since i'll have it apart it seems like a good time to switch to disc.

1) is it worth converting?
2) I have small bolt pattern, should I keep or switch? Switching mean $$$ for another set of old rally's, and my other sets of wheels?
3) any recommendations on kits?

4) I am also open to thoughts on front end kits. I have some answers from a thread I did last year, but welcome all thoughts on the subject.

I want to try thinking of everything so I will not have to get into it again for a long time.
Parts; rubber or not; what to replace that may not be part of a front end kit; what to powder coat; any thoughts of what to do while its apart.

Thanks

I am finally getting ready to do the front end rebuild on the 68 Barracuda. Since i'll have it apart it seems like a good time to switch to disc.

1) is it worth converting?
2) I have small bolt pattern, should I keep or switch? Switching mean $$$ for another set of old rally's, and my other sets of wheels?
3) any recommendations on kits?

4) I am also open to thoughts on front end kits. I have some answers from a thread I did last year, but welcome all thoughts on the subject.

I want to try thinking of everything so I will not have to get into it again for a long time.
Parts; rubber or not; what to replace that may not be part of a front end kit; what to powder coat; any thoughts of what to do while its apart.

Thanks
I am going with a Wilwood kit due to the hub having both patterns. This way I can keep my current wheels for now and change as needed. Also the Wilwood kit does not alter track width very much compared to some others.
Some folks like the Scarebird kits .
Some folks like the Pirate Jack kits.
They all have their merits.
Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Front Brake Kit Product Number: 140-11022
1960-72 Dodge, Plymouth "A" body, with 9" drums Wheel Kit
DBK6272A-40 - 1962-1972 Mopar A Body Small Bolt Pattern Standard Disc Brake Conversion Kit

I did mine with F body spindles and calipers. Best mod I did. Stops on a dime and manual brakes.

Do the complete front end. Kinda like this & be happy.

20170704_220758.jpg

With respect to bolt pattern, you're asking the right questions now. Listen to many responses before you decide. When I bought my 67 Barracuda, I really liked the original wheel covers, and I needed tires right away. So I bought (5) 14" tires, and this kind of committed me.

I later find out that 14" wheels with a SBP really limits your options when it comes to switching to disc brakes, wheel choices, and tire choices. If you look at all the previously mentioned disc kits, carefully read the fine print. Typically they will say, "fits most 14" wheels." Does that include your 14" wheels? The cost of being wrong may result in you paying a $100 shipping fee both ways plus a restocking charge. If you do switch to BBP, what is your rear axle situation? Consider all options.

Switched from drums to disc on my '70 duster I put the Wilwood set up on it well worth the money spent:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Go LBP, 13" Dr Diff brakes (mounts of A and F Spindles), 17" OE Mustang (or equivalent) wheels and have tones of tire options with modern compounds and designs that far exceed 14" and 15" tire offerings now. While I'm lighting up your VISA Platinum, Get some tubular A-Arms and Adjustable Strut Rods, box your lowers, Weld your K-frame up, install sub frames and a set of sway bars. Oh and don't forget some good shocks Fox, Bilstein, etc....

9 inch drums are marginal, but if you are dealing with 10s, you are not going to improve on braking power or distance, unless repeated high speed stops are part of the program.
Drums hold better, offer more surface area so they require less pedal effort, are approximately 50 pounds lighter and have zero parasitic drag when adjusted properly.

Great stuff thanks. Interestingly enough, there are ad for front end kits at the bottom of hte page now

If your current brakes can skid the tires, no other brakes will be able to stop the car faster. I challenge anyone to give a scientific explanation otherwise. But, drum brakes will overheat and "fade" (friction material melts) if constantly or repeatedly braking (i.e. stupidly using brakes to slow on long down-hill grades, aka FL drivers on Blue Ridge Pkwy). They may also fade in stopping from very high speeds (>80 mph). Many drum brakes are poorly maintained, so give uneven braking between L & R or gunk on the shoes causing grabbing, thus people saying "drums didn't work". But, semi trucks still use them.

Re disk choices, Scarebird is cheapest and uses easy to get Chevy & Toyota parts and can stay SBP. Wilwood also allows SBP. But, insure your current wheels will fit. If you change to LBP, you must change your rear-end to match, carry 2 spares, or no spare. Many new cars come w/ no spare and just a can of stop-leak. Most gomers today would have to call a tow truck to change a tire anyway. I find no deficit of 14" tire choices for the 6 of my 7 vehicles which use them, at least in the price range I shop. But, you can buy 17" alloy wheels in SBP reasonably (~$170 ea, search past posts).

Let's look at how brakes work for a second. How they REALLY work. Brakes convert kinetic energy into thermal energy. That's what they do at the base level, they use friction to convert motion into heat.

So, which kind of brake is best? The most efficient and effective brake is the one that can dissipate the most heat, it's as simple as that. The more efficiently a brake dissipates heat, the more motion it can convert to heat and the better you stop. Disks dissipate heat much better than drums, and that's why they perform better.

Now, the skidding tires thing. It's a false argument. If the fastest way to stop a car was to lock up all 4 wheels and skid to a stop, you'd have a point. Unfortunately, that's not the fastest way to stop a car. The most friction between the tire and the road is with the tire just starting to slip. Still rolling, not locked. That's where threshold braking comes from https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/04/26/skills-101-threshold-braking/. Heck it's the reason ABS came about. You can lock up the wheels with a quick stab of the brakes because of the interaction between static and kinetic friction, but that's not the best way to stop. The fact that your drums can skid the tires means nothing. It produces more heat, and dissipates more energy, to keep the tires just on the verge of locking up. That's a harder test of the brakes, and that's where drums fail because they don't dissipate heat as well. If the skidding tires thing worked as a test, there'd be no reason for anyone to upgrade their brakes. I could lock up my tires with the factory 10.9" disks, so why did my car stop better with 11.75" disks? 11.75" disks could lock up my tires, so why do 13" disks work better still? It's a false argument, the science does not back it up.

Semi trucks still use drums because they're cheaper and lighter. Not because they stop better, and not because they last longer. Cheaper to build, cheaper to replace, and lighter which means more cargo weight can be carried. And even then, the trucking industry is STILL moving to disks. The US is the hold out, everyone else has already mandated disks for safety, but even here the changeover is happening. The US instituted new safety rules, the manufacturers had to make the drum brakes even bigger to comply. Info here Brake Trends: Drums vs. Discs

A little more info on disks vs. drums. The only reason any major manufacturer still uses drums is cost. Drums are cheap. Brakes: Drum vs. Disc

And I'll bring it back to Mopar here. Mopar Muscle did a rear disk conversion on a '73 Dart Sport and checked the stopping distances between the rear drums and rear disks. Now remember, the rear brakes are probably only doing 20-25% of the braking, so if there was anywhere a drum should be good enough the rear axle would be the place. But that's not what they found. The result was that from 60 mph, with factory disks up front and factory drums in the back the car took 133 feet, 6 inches to stop. After the rear disk conversion, the stoping distance improved to 122 feet 4 inches. That's 11 feet. Maybe it doesn't sound like a lot, but that's almost a car length. 11 feet makes a near miss no big deal, and a solid hit a near miss. The rear disks made that big of a difference even though they're only doing 20% of the braking. And I'm sure that car could lock up the rear wheels with the factory drums. Imagine what the difference is at the front! The online article is kind of a tease, the final stopping distance is in the tags under the pictures for the article, it's on the second to last picture. The hardcopy article is easier to follow, but that's the way it goes. Rear Disc Brakes - All Bound Up - Mopar Muscle Magazine

I never said or implied that the fastest way to stop was to skid the tires. Everyone knows you want to brake until just before the threshold of skidding, i.e. the old "pump the brakes" method and later ABS. But, if the brakes can skid the tires, they can also allow optimal stopping since that takes less force. That was my point, and it should be obvious to everyone.

Braking is primarily kinetic energy into heat energy. When you stop very quickly, the heat goes mostly into temperature rise in the shoes and drum (or pads and rotor), since no time to dissipate the heat. That temperature is determined by the heat capacity, which is proportional to the mass of steel. If the drum and disk setups have the same total mass, those temperatures would be the same. 9" drums are probably lighter than the factory K-H disks. I don't know about Scarebird or Wilwood. Over a longer time, how fast the brakes dissipate the heat to the air is important, so the system is ready for the next braking cycle. Disks are much better at this, especially rotors with hollow inners with "fan blades" to move the air (not all), along with ducted air blowing on them (modern high-end sports cars). A different scenario is steady braking such as on downhill grades. In that case, at steady-state, the heat generation matches heat dissipation, so disks are much better. It is stupid to rely on brakes on grades but many drivers do so and the fed's mandated front disks for that reason (too many idiots running off cliffs). I think all truckers know better.

Obviously Mopar Muscle did not optimize both systems. If they had an adjustable proportioning valve and adjusted each system until the fronts skidded just before the rears, then both drums and disks should have applied the same force to the rear wheels. The only way that wouldn't be true is if the drums suffered fade and thus less braking at the end. I can't imagine the rear drums were designed to fade during a 60 mph stop. I didn't read they did anything like that, so it wasn't a fair comparison. I doubt their car is using the factory bias-ply tires, and any time you vary from that you need to adjust the F-R balance to get optimum performance. Their article is also about promoting a rear disk system. Buy it if you want, but understand that rear disks are mostly for bling, even in current models.

part of the joy found in our old Mopars for many people,is buying parts. treat our babies as the kings and queens they deserve! and so goes the idea of discs, especially adding them to the rear. I have no doubt discs will stop a car quicker than good drums.
but being old school, learning to drive a stick at bout 12, driving old 49 chevy in HS, with a wiper that worked off vacuum and quit going up a small hill! ha.....I learned to drive and understand my machine: car, tractor, horse..... I still drive my drum brake equipped slant cars understanding they have limits to their stopping ability. I drive accordingly. I also drive out here in the sticks. makes a big difference!

There is more surface area with drums than discs... Which is exactly why it takes less line pressure to make them work.
On high performance B Bodies, they used 10 inch drums on the back when discs were ordered to maintain some balance. The normal 11 inch rear drums on those cars would overwhelm the disc brakes and cause the rears to lock.
From a historic perspective, NASCAR did not allow disc brakes on their Grand National cars until around 1975. Some people, like Richard Petty stuck with drums until the early 80s.
As someone who has been swapping disc brakes for drums on my own cars since the 70s, I can say first hand that I have never experienced any sort of braking issues from the "downgrade"... But then again, I don't hot lap my cars on autocross tracks.

I also have to wonder, if car manu. going to discs is about money$$$.????? (what isn't?).. discs. fewer parts, takes the young mechanic less time to do brake work?? charge more anyway.

I went with 4 wheel discs on my Barracuda.
Problem is that I dont drive in a manner that makes use of that braking power.....
I am going with Drums on the 69 Dart ...

Obviously Mopar Muscle did not optimize both systems. If they had an adjustable proportioning valve and adjusted each system until the fronts skidded just before the rears, then both drums and disks should have applied the same force to the rear wheels.

Yes, their setup stopped the car shorter on dry pavement, but did they try it on wet pavement, maybe while turning? The rear wheels might lock up before the front wheels, making the car less safe to drive than with rear drums. The front/rear balance issue is one reason why I decided to stick with factory equipment when I switched from drum to disk brakes. (My '74 got the '73-'76 large bolt pattern brakes; on a '68 I might have gone with a pre-1973 factory disk setup.)

I never said or implied that the fastest way to stop was to skid the tires. Everyone knows you want to brake until just before the threshold of skidding, i.e. the old "pump the brakes" method and later ABS. But, if the brakes can skid the tires, they can also allow optimal stopping since that takes less force. That was my point, and it should be obvious to everyone.

No, it should not be obvious, because it is FALSE. Not true. Optimal stopping takes MORE force, not less.

The friction of the tire on the road when skidding is less, you know this because you know the fastest way to stop a car is not skidding the tires. That means it takes less brake force to hold that tire locked than it does to brake the rolling tire, which has more friction with the road. The flawed part of thinking here is that you have to "pass through" optimal stopping to lock the brakes. You do not.

The problem is that the static and kinetic coefficients of friction are not totally linear, and do not behave in a linear fashion. Without a better way to explain it, there's kind of an overlap between the two. A short impulse, ie, stabbing the brakes, can lock a tire with less force than it takes to threshold brake the same tire because you move straight to static friction, you don't have to go through kinetic friction first. The progression to locking the tire does not have to pass through the threshold point in a linear fashion if you just stab the brakes. The locking the tires up test is 100% useless with regard to determining your maximum braking power. Yes, if you can't skid the tires that's bad and your brakes are underperforming. But, just being able to lock up the tires does not mean you can't still improve your stopping distances. And non of that even addresses the fact that the locked brake isn't producing heat, because the rotor or drum isn't turning.

Braking is primarily kinetic energy into heat energy. When you stop very quickly, the heat goes mostly into temperature rise in the shoes and drum (or pads and rotor), since no time to dissipate the heat. That temperature is determined by the heat capacity, which is proportional to the mass of steel. If the drum and disk setups have the same total mass, those temperatures would be the same. 9" drums are probably lighter than the factory K-H disks. I don't know about Scarebird or Wilwood. Over a longer time, how fast the brakes dissipate the heat to the air is important, so the system is ready for the next braking cycle. Disks are much better at this, especially rotors with hollow inners with "fan blades" to move the air (not all), along with ducted air blowing on them (modern high-end sports cars). A different scenario is steady braking such as on downhill grades. In that case, at steady-state, the heat generation matches heat dissipation, so disks are much better. It is stupid to rely on brakes on grades but many drivers do so and the fed's mandated front disks for that reason (too many idiots running off cliffs). I think all truckers know better.

You obviously didn't read what I posted about truckers. Yes, it is stupid to rely on your brakes on grades, and that is a problem with drivers education. People don't get it. But, that driving habit by itself doesn't tell you which is a better brake. You can overheat disks too. In most cases (not all) it takes longer, but that depends on the size of the disk and the size of the old drum.

Regardless, you're arguing here that disks actually work better. They dissipate heat better, and withstand adverse conditions better. Being a better driver and being able to mitigate the disadvantages of having drum brakes does not make them better, it actually proves they're worse.

Obviously Mopar Muscle did not optimize both systems. If they had an adjustable proportioning valve and adjusted each system until the fronts skidded just before the rears, then both drums and disks should have applied the same force to the rear wheels. The only way that wouldn't be true is if the drums suffered fade and thus less braking at the end. I can't imagine the rear drums were designed to fade during a 60 mph stop. I didn't read they did anything like that, so it wasn't a fair comparison. I doubt their car is using the factory bias-ply tires, and any time you vary from that you need to adjust the F-R balance to get optimum performance. Their article is also about promoting a rear disk system. Buy it if you want, but understand that rear disks are mostly for bling, even in current models.

The article isn't a great one. They didn't really say what they did with the installation, whether they added an adjustable prop valve or not. They did mention that they just installed the Master Power kit, which doesn't include an adjustable prop valve, and they covered in detail the process for defeating the metering valve in the stock combination valve. They didn't say that's what they did, but I bet that's what they did. Stock combination valve with the metering valve removed, turning it into a distribution block.

But here's the thing. They started with a car that's pretty similar to most of the cars on this site. It didn't have bias plys, because almost no one runs those. And if you do you're right, no point in upgrading your brakes, your tires are the weakest link. No, they started with a factory braking system, disks and drums, with oversized radials on the front and rear, with larger rear tires than the front. You know, a set up similar to the majority of classic muscle cars. If anything, the front tires on their duster are wider than most folks run, which should minimize the effect of the rear brakes. And they just bolted on a rear disk kit. I realize the factory system wasn't optimized for the cars set up, but I seriously doubt they spent much time tuning the rear disks either. Especially with zero mentions of an adjustable prop valve being added. Maybe they added one, but I still doubt they perfectly optimized the brakes.

So what does that mean? I think they did what the majority of owners do. They upgraded the factory system, probably didn't fully optimize either system, and still ended up with a better stopping distance. Their gains were probably some percentage of luck, and with such a big improvement the factory system was underperforming. But there are other advantages to disks that may have played a role, namely, they're easier to threshold brake because they have better feel than drums. But that just means tha average drivers will have better braking with disk.

Here's the car in the article, if you didn't bother to look.
mopp_1208_011_rear_disc_brakes_all_bound_up_.jpg

There is more surface area with drums than discs... Which is exactly why it takes less line pressure to make them work.
On high performance B Bodies, they used 10 inch drums on the back when discs were ordered to maintain some balance. The normal 11 inch rear drums on those cars would overwhelm the disc brakes and cause the rears to lock.
From a historic perspective, NASCAR did not allow disc brakes on their Grand National cars until around 1975. Some people, like Richard Petty stuck with drums until the early 80s.
As someone who has been swapping disc brakes for drums on my own cars since the 70s, I can say first hand that I have never experienced any sort of braking issues from the "downgrade"... But then again, I don't hot lap my cars on autocross tracks.

Taking less line pressure doesn't make you stop faster.

NASCAR also banned Hemi's and wings because they worked too well. Not a sanctioning body I would quote when determining what system works best, unless it's to do the opposite of what they banned because they have a history of banning what works best. A rather long history of banning what works best, in fact.

Yes, their setup stopped the car shorter on dry pavement, but did they try it on wet pavement, maybe while turning? The rear wheels might lock up before the front wheels, making the car less safe to drive than with rear drums. The front/rear balance issue is one reason why I decided to stick with factory equipment when I switched from drum to disk brakes. (My '74 got the '73-'76 large bolt pattern brakes; on a '68 I might have gone with a pre-1973 factory disk setup.)

You run bias plys in the stock factory sizes? Because if you don't, the factory system is not optimized for your car anymore. Regardless, if anything the stock system was rear bias heavy. All of my cars with the factory brakes have locked the rears first with no tuning. Now, they were all running radials, so that might not reflect what happened with factory bias plys. But with the factory brakes and radials like most of us run the system is not optimized already.

Of course you must pass thru the max static friction force to realize the skidding kinetic friction situation. That is a standard Physics I class lab which 72BluNblu must recall from his engineering studies. Not sure where "stabbing" the brakes requirement comes from. Even with the smallest brakes and largest stickiest tires some linebacker could surely lockup the brakes.

I never claimed drums are superior to disks, indeed the opposite. I just claim that drums were and still are fine for most daily driving by a competent driver. I have overheated drums in 2 cars - 69 Dart w 9" and 65 Newport. Both were on gravel roads in the mountains on a hot CA day where had to keep braking on turns in 2nd. I could have got down in 1st wo braking but would have taken forever. The Newport has massive 11x3 front drums which can absorb a lot of heat but still take a long time to dissipate the heat. Interesting how trains dissipate the massive potential energy when descending the Sierras (generator w/ banks of resistors).

BTW, everyone should ignore the old stopping distance specs. Tires stop the car and today's are much superior to the skinny bias tires those specs are based on. For winter driving, I read where special snow-ice tires gave half the stopping distance of All-Season tires on ice, which is an amazing difference.

Last edited:
-
Back