Disc to drum swap and u joints

-

khaley71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone hows it going? I'm sure this is posted in here someplace but couldn't find it sooo... I am doing a disc brake swap on my 71 Swinger it has 9 inch small bolt drums all around. I have the complete donor car a 74 Dart Sport with big bolt manual disc brakes. My question is about the lower ball joints and the tie rod ends. I'm pretty sure I need to use the lower ball joints from the 74 Dart? What tie rods do I need, can I use the stock 71 tie rods or do I need to use the ones from the 74? The entire front suspension is going to be rebuilt so I just want to make sure I get the right parts the first time. I'm also swapping in an 8.75 rear in place of the 7.25 rear but am keeping the slant 6 auto drive train for now what u joint do I need to use for this swap? Thanks in advance Ken

The upper ball joint is the only difference,but the 73-6 abody also used thicker tie rods 11/16 if I remember right but the others should just pop in the ball joint. I like the 73-6 K frames better,the engine mounts are a better design & the parts are cheaper than earlier years.

upper control arm

nuckel

rotor

galiper

galiper hose

and good to go

as for the rear if they have the same rear housing switch the axle and all the brake parts so you will have large bolt pattern front and back

If you have to shorten the driveshaft, then have them swap the 7290 ujoint yoke. This way you do not have to buy a really expensive conversion joint

IIRC, the 8.75 pigs will all use a larger style of ujoint, the 7290. The 7.25 rear uses the 7260 ujoint, which is smaller.

They do make conversion joints with one part of the cross a 7260 with the other side being 7290, but those can be pretty spendy. And if you are having a driveshaft welded up, might as well go ahead and have them drop that larger yoke on there.

I had a shaft shortened for the 8.75 in my Duster about 10 years agon, didn't realize it was for the larger yoke, and had to go with the conversion joint.....I think that thing ran me about $60.

They do make conversion joints with one part of the cross a 7260 with the other side being 7290, but those can be pretty spendy. And if you are having a driveshaft welded up, might as well go ahead and have them drop that larger yoke on there.

If someone did want to go the route of the 7260 to 7290 conversion u-joint, mopartsracing.com has it for $36.95 P5007418

But if it's not too much to just have the larger yoke added, that's probably the better way to go anyway.

-
Back