Discs on an 8 3/4?

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Long story short im back to the drawing board on my back brakes and I'm wandering if there's a way to use discs on an 8 3/4 without having to shell out $$$ for an expensive kit. Anyone know of a way or someone that makes a cheaper kit or some kind of adapter? Big thanks in advance

You mean you wanna do something like this? :eek: Yes this is mine.

20160723_223338.jpg

Anyone care to guide me to what kit i should be looking at? I had seen the scarebird stuff before, just never used it due to all my stuff being '73+ up. I have bbp axles now but the housing had sbp's if that makes a difference as far as the conversion kit. As you can tell im a newb when it comes to this stuff.

Anyone care to guide me to what kit i should be looking at? I had seen the scarebird stuff before, just never used it due to all my stuff being '73+ up. I have bbp axles now but the housing had sbp's if that makes a difference as far as the conversion kit. As you can tell im a newb when it comes to this stuff.

I think these are what he's talking about, this is their rear brake set up. 1965-72 Dodge, Plymouth "B", "C", "E" body rear disc

But, unless you've offset your springs they won't fit, that's right from the Scarebird website - "These brackets will work with 8-3/4", Dana 60 and 8-14" rear axles. Will not work with "A" bodys unless springs are moved inboard 3/4" or more and have 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern. This combination require 15" rims and will not fit the earlier two-piece axles."

Regardless, I think people get excited about Scarebird stuff because of how cheap the brackets are, without considering how much it will actually cost to buy all the parts you need. Be sure to figure out what ALL the parts will cost first.

Sorry, but as far as brakes go I can't say going with the cheapest kit out there is a good idea. Dr Diff's kits are definitely not the cheapest, although they're not the most expensive either. And they work with the original tapered axle bearings, while a lot of the cheaper kits require green bearings. So, if you don't have green bearings already and you buy a cheap kit that requires green bearings be prepared to spend more money on new axle bearings, plus the install if you can't do it yourself. When you're looking at rear brake kits, make sure you know what axle bearings are required, what brake hoses you'll need, and if it comes with a parking brake provision and the cables you need for the parking brake.

Mopar 10.7" Rear Disc Brake Kit

If buying a good kit is too expensive, you're better off staying with drums. Rear drums are good enough for a lot of street cars.

Speed way caliper adapters, 85 gm Gbody calipers and rear Jeep disc brake rotors. You should have $200 or less in the whole set up.
Not my car.
My GTX uses Ford Explorer discs with GM metric calipers, and brackets from Speedway. I have just over $100 into a the entire setup. For that cost, I wouldn't waste any more time with drums. Made a huge difference in stopping also.

Attachments
IMG_2187.jpg

Here's some more info I got from moparts a long time ago.
ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/toboard.moparts.org/pics/1313425/re-gm-metric-rear-disc-conversion.html#Post1313425

Speed way caliper adapters, 85 gm Gbody calipers and rear Jeep disc brake rotors. You should have $200 or less in the whole set up.
Not my car.
My GTX uses Ford Explorer discs with GM metric calipers, and brackets from Speedway. I have just over $100 into a the entire setup. For that cost, I wouldn't waste any more time with drums. Made a huge difference in stopping also.

Attachments
View attachment 1715079763
What all brackets would i need other than a caliper adapter? Also is it just a matter of getting rotors that fit the brackets, and calipers that fit the rotors, or.....
TIA

Also mopar65, that link isnt working for me. Brings up a time warner page for some reason

Sorry I was having trouble with my phone. I will try and repost the link. But here is the link for the caliper brackets.
Weld-On 1978-88 GM Flat Mount Caliper Bracket
You use the GM 84 month Carlo front brake calipers,brake pads,caliper pins and front brake hoses. The brake rotors are 94 jeep Cherokee or Ford explorer. Everything is pretty much a bolt on deal except you have to weld on the caliper brackets. Plus weld on a tab to hold the Rubber brake line.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a caliper bracket that bolts to the axle bolts, maybe behind the axle flange? Seems like it wouldnt be hard to get one that fits height wise and drill holes or something of that nature.

Anyone know if this set up will fit an a body with springs in the stock location? Also will the rotors move the wheels out much? Wondering what back space wheels to use.

Anyone know if this set up will fit an a body with springs in the stock location? Also will the rotors move the wheels out much? Wondering what back space wheels to use.

Depends on the kit, but they all move the wheels out. If you think about how the disks fit on the axles, and how thick they are compared to the mounting area of the drums, it usually means the wheels get moved out about 3/16" to a 1/4".

They will fit on an A-body with the wheels in the stock location, but whether or not they'll work with the wheels you already have is a different story.

Depends on the kit, but they all move the wheels out. If you think about how the disks fit on the axles, and how thick they are compared to the mounting area of the drums, it usually means the wheels get moved out about 3/16" to a 1/4".

They will fit on an A-body with the wheels in the stock location, but whether or not they'll work with the wheels you already have is a different story.
Wanting to upgrade my stock axles on my bracket race car. Going to lbp so, I will need new wheels and brakes also. Planning on using the Speedway weld on brackets for gm metric calipers. Looking at Weld Pro Star wheels.

Wanting to upgrade my stock axles on my bracket race car. Going to lbp so, I will need new wheels and brakes also. Planning on using the Speedway weld on brackets for gm metric calipers. Looking at Weld Pro Star wheels.

Well, going to LBP axles adds about 5/16" to the track width. Figure the disks will add another 1/4". What A-body do you have? What size rims and tires do you want to run?

I was thinking 15x8. I’m running m/t 26x8.5 pro bracket radials on stock steel wheels now. Car is a 1974 Dart

I was thinking 15x8. I’m running m/t 26x8.5 pro bracket radials on stock steel wheels now. Car is a 1974 Dart

On a Dart with the springs in the stock locations that's already the widest tire you're going to fit in there. And I'm sure you know they're not supposed to be mounted on anything narrower than a 15x7.5", so any of the "stock steel wheels" are too narrow.

With an A-body 8 3/4 with LBP axles, some kind of disk brakes, 15x8's and those tires you're going to need the backspacing to be near 5". But to know for sure you'll have to measure.

-
Back