Disk brake spindle and uca question

-

69GT

Reaction score
A few years back I bought a set of LBP disk brakes that were from a 73 Duster. They were all disassembled at the time. I haven't used them as yet but now I would like to put them on my 69 Dart. How do you tell which uca and which spindle is driver or passenger side?

The controls arms are self explanatory, you’ll see when you roughly position them where they go if it’s a right or left.

the spindles can be mounted on either side. This all depends as to whether or not you want the calipers rear or front mounted. If you have a factory sway bar on your 69’ you’ll want to rear mount the calipers. If this is the case you need about a 15” brake hose for the install. 1969 camaro with disc brakes is an application you can used to look up new hoses. They work

Last edited:
Okay, I see the bumper stops. I'm using a spool k-frame and a 73 type sway bar. So, do the brake calipers have to mounted toward the front or can I put them front or back? I think I read somewhere they originally would have been on the front but I would prefer them on the back if possible.

Okay, I see the bumper stops. I'm using a spool k-frame and a 73 type sway bar. So, do the brake calipers have to mounted toward the front or can I put them front or back? I think I read somewhere they originally would have been on the front but I would prefer them on the back if possible.
If this is the case You can mount them either way. But I’d put them on the front then you can source stock 73 A body with disc brakes parts, ie: hoses and calipers, and the brake hose routing is the way it should be..

if you choose to rear mount them buy calipers listed for cars like an 85 dodge diplomat, or Chrysler New Yorker. Then you can install them properly with the feed on the bottom and the bleeder in the top. And also of course the 69’ camaro with disc brake hose…

don’t forget to put a 73 and up A body disc brake proportioning valve on the car too.

people seem to sell them for around 85 bucks. I think I saw inline tube selling them on eBay for 65 dollars but I’m not sure about the shipping charges. Maybe inline tube also just sells direct. Doctor Diff is another source

If this is the case You can mount them either way. But I’d put them on the front then you can source stock 73 A body with disc brakes parts, ie: hoses and calipers, and the brake hose routing is the way it should be..

if you choose to rear mount them buy calipers listed for cars like an 85 dodge diplomat, or Chrysler New Yorker. Then you can install them properly with the feed on the bottom and the bleeder in the top. And also of course the 69’ camaro with disc brake hose…

don’t forget to put a 73 and up A body disc brake proportioning valve on the car too.

people seem to sell them for around 85 bucks. I think I saw inline tube selling them on eBay for 65 dollars but I’m not sure about the shipping charges. Maybe inline tube also just sells direct. Doctor Diff is another source
I feel exactly the opposite. Only thing that changes is hoses. Putting calipers on rear means that no matter what you do, you can dispense with anti sway bar to caliper interference. There is no downside.

I feel exactly the opposite. Only thing that changes is hoses. Putting calipers on rear means that no matter what you do, you can dispense with anti sway bar to caliper interference. There is no downside.
Respectfully, You haven’t read the whole thing. He is using a 73 k member so if there’s a sway bar there’s no interference either way.

there is a difference, here is some I for for the yourself and the OP.

73-76 A body calipers have a different feed and bleed orientation than do the diplomats and New Yorkers. Therefore when you try to rear mount them you can’t get the bleeder to the top like you should. People sometimes bleed them off the car with a 2x4 in between the pads to get a proper bleed which is not ideal or convenient for future servicing.

Correct and the preferred method of brake hose routing is attached to the car behind the upper control arm, crossing behind the spindle towards the front of the car. This ensures the least amount of hose flex and travel as the car steers from lock to lock.

@69GT if you follow the guidance I have provided you will have a smooth disc brake conversion.

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

It is really what works for you. I used the 73 k-frame and suspension with the large rotors on my 72. With the 73-up style swab bar there is plenty of room. I just have my local NAPA make what ever hoses I need.
1684599653592.jpeg

1684599733866.jpeg

It is really what works for you. I used the 73 k-frame and suspension with the large rotors on my 72. With the 73-up style swab bar there is plenty of room. I just have my local NAPA make what ever hoses I need.
View attachment 1716092223

View attachment 1716092225

Well not really, you can make anything ‘work’ but I’ve seen a lot of **** conversions with wrong hoses and suspect routing routing, and calipers installed with the bleeder screws at the bottom of the caliper with people wondering why they can’t bleed the brakes properly etc….

Yours is the CORRECT position and method for a 73 and up A body, this is what I’m recommending to the OP.

There are two correct methods one is the way you just did for 73 and up k members, the other, when rear mounted on either K member (67-72, or 73 +) is with the parts I have recommended.

O.K. I decided I will put the calipers on the front as they should be. How do you tell which spindle is which? They look like the would be side to side specific but I can't read the part numbers on them. Also, the caliper brackets I'm not sure which side is which. One has the number 777 on it and the other 776.

Respectfully, You haven’t read the whole thing. He is using a 73 k member so if there’s a sway bar there’s no interference either way.

there is a difference, here is some I for for the yourself and the OP.

73-76 A body calipers have a different feed and bleed orientation than do the diplomats and New Yorkers. Therefore when you try to rear mount them you can’t get the bleeder to the top like you should. People sometimes bleed them off the car with a 2x4 in between the pads to get a proper bleed which is not ideal or convenient for future servicing.

Correct and the preferred method of brake hose routing is attached to the car behind the upper control arm, crossing behind the spindle towards the front of the car. This ensures the least amount of hose flex and travel as the car steers from lock to lock.

@69GT if you follow the guidance I have provided you will have a smooth disc brake conversion.

View attachment 1716092227

View attachment 1716092228
This is pretty funny because there are lots of us who have done this. And there ARE interference problems because "we" often mix and match parts. My 73 K wears ?????NO ****!!!????? an early anti-roll bar. And if I ever buy an AFTERMARKET heavier bar, "it just might" be an issue.

Don't feed me this "correct" crap. Correct is what works. Many of us have made this work and Never Looked Back.

Bleeder--at the top

20200125_112821-jpg.jpg

This is pretty funny because there are lots of us who have done this. And there ARE interference problems because "we" often mix and match parts. My 73 K wears ?????NO ****!!!????? an early anti-roll bar. And if I ever buy an AFTERMARKET heavier bar, "it just might" be an issue.

Don't feed me this "correct" crap. Correct is what works. Many of us have made this work and Never Looked Back.

Bleeder--at the top

View attachment 1716093278

you're wrong, but what ever suits you.

it’s the SAME cost, and JUST as EASY to do it right so I don’t know why you’d argue the point.

I cringe when I see the wrong hose used and routed like yours. you might be taking this personally because you’ve managed to install them like you did albeit incorrectly.

looks like your hoses might actually hit the control arm when you turn full lock to lock. You might want to look at that

Last edited:
Years ago, I’ve read later B-body (73+) disc brake hoses or F-body Volare disc brake hoses can be used when the 73+ A-body brake caliper is mounted on the rear of the spindle using early style K-frame on a 67-72 Dart. Maybe someone on here can confirm?

-
Back