dist. doesn't fit

-

cudacurlee

Reaction score
i just gotta a new 318 la block, my new mp. distributor does not fit. why? my old points dist. fits in the new block, whats the deal?

Is it a small block dist.??? Could it be for a big block? That's the only reason I could think it wouldn't fit. Compare it to your point type for shaft length to see if they're the same.

Ive seen where a distributor wont fit because the intermediate pump shaft was a little taller, or the pump itself wont allow the shaft to engage as deeply as another, weird stuff happens sometimes. Try a different intermediate shaft, this worked for me.

Also, if the o-ring is a little too big it won't slip into the block.

dgc333 said:
Also, if the o-ring is a little too big it won't slip into the block.

If thats it all thats needed is some silcone spray or maybe trans oil on the ring. Then with the cap and rotor off twist it well pushing hard down keep a eye on where the shaft needs to be. It won't go all the way in but you can start the clamp and thighten it down with a wench. Now becareful you don't snap the bolt and it still might not be 100% in but this should get it 90% in. Then get the motor hot and loosen the bolt and twist the dist. some more and rethighten the bolt, should go down more. After a few more times it be in all the way. I always use a Fel-Pro intake gasket and the o-ring they give seems to big but once its in it does not leak and after some time sticks so the timing does not change even if the bolt gets a little loose. Hope thats all it is.

Guys I think we're missing something here. If your old distributor will fit in the block but your new one won't then I'd suggest that you go buy a cheap caliper and measure both units and find out what the difference is. If you're not familiar with the use of a caliper take both units to a machine shop and ask if they would measure the two units for comparison. If it turns out that there is a dimensional discrepancy with the new distributor, take it back to where you bought it and point out the problem. I would say that half the fun with keeping these old cars on the road is the "adventure" of fixing things and figuring things out. On the other hand people have called me crazy.

Ah what do they know. I must be doing something right, enter exibit A :burnout:

Terry

P6020033 (Custom).JPG

I think Demon Seed hit it right on the head! MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE to see where the difference is.If one fits you would think the other would also! But sometimes it is so small you can't see it with the naked eye.Just 5 or 10 thousandths could be the problem. Something as minor as removing a small burr or something requiring a little machining work.I would bet it is found when measuring,be sure to measure diameter,lengths of each,and anywhere else you can get a measurement. REMEMBER NEVER FORCE ANYTHING! A BIGGER HAMMER IS NOT THE ANSWER! It should just slip right in pretty easily!And remember we are talking about a distributor ! LOL

Never use a hammer for installing any engine parts. Even pistons should be push in not hammer. I ment push the dist. down hard by hand while twisting it IF its the o-ring stoping it.

I had a rebuilt distributor that that wouldn't go in. And it was the o-ring and no amount of grease would help. It was supplied with an o-ring that was the next large size in cross section. But if it's a mechanical interference then as Demon Seed stated you will need to take some measurements.

the old points distributor from my 273 fits in the new 318, i have one new dist. from an old military 880 that requires an o- ring and another new dist. from jegs that also requires an o-ring. neither of the new dist. fit on the block, or the interfence is just tighter than i am comfortable with. it seems that the general concesus is that these are a static fit anyways. is this a correct presumption?

i have a msd pro billit and it wont fit with the o ring so i just used one of the little flat gasket that goes right between the block and the dist never had a problem out of it

I have changed alot of dist. and had oring problems. Just get a new oring that is a thinner and put it in. Problem should be resolved.

I had an issue with the base key on the distributor shaft being too wide for the slot in the gear. I had to file a very little bit off to get it to fit properly.

-
Back