Distributor Air Gap Setting

-

SeattleQQ1Fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How precise does the air gap measurement need to be in the distributor? The teeth on my reluctor aren't all uniform, so while most them read around .008, a couple measure closer to .011, and one is .006.

When the setting is measured in thousandths .006 to .011 is a lot and will make a difference, that's .005 difference. That's like asking if it matters that one leg is two inches shorter...not if all you do is walk but running would be a *****!:poke:

Reluctors are available at Auto parts store and not super expensive.

Rock auto for sure, that's where I got one in the last year

I'm still running the original reluctor and mine is a uniform measurement. IMO some aftermarket reluctors may not be built from quality materials or workmanship.

How precise does the air gap measurement need to be in the distributor? The teeth on my reluctor aren't all uniform, so while most them read around .008, a couple measure closer to .011, and one is .006.

They don't have to be precise as I have run them smaller and larger without issue.
Also, if it is actually the reluctor and not the shaft, you can spin them on a drill and get them closer to even. (as long as you be sure it's centered on whatever spindle you use.):D

-
Back