distributor choice

-
Either MSD or Factory distributors are good. I have run a MSD distributor for years, but my friend runs a Chrysler distributor on all his race cars with an MSD box. I run a Crane 6. I have had zero problems with the Crane. I got Crane because a friend who builds high end GT40 replicas recommended Crane. I have had some problems with MSD in the past.

MSD actually stands for multiple spark discharge. It does exactly what the name implies. Rather than a single spark it delivers several at once. I don't know anymore details other than that, as I am not totally familiar with MSD, but that is the jest. I am not sure I would go to the expense of an MSD for a mild street application.....it will certainly work. Summit sells their version of the Mopar electronic ignition pretty reasonably. Really, any decent electronic distributor with a good advance curve will work good. Even a factory unit with loose springs installed will get the job done.

The big problem with a factory distributor is the advance curve. Any factory breakerless distributor was made in the "smog era" and will have a very long, slow advance curve. You need to either recurve it, or buy an aftermarket with a performance, many times adjustable advance mechanism

FBO does sell an advance limiter kit which is a plate installed in the advance to limit the long advance, and comes with a lighter spring kit to speed it up.

For best price/performance ratio and simple hook-up, it is hard to beat the $45 new "ready-to-run" HEI distributor on ebay. Many posts here if you search.

If you consider an engine electronic engine controller down the road, an 8-pin GM HEI module might be smart since some ECU's can control the spark timing via those. No need to fool with distributor springs, just type in the curve you desire.

I run a Summit distributor that's made for connecting to a CD type of ignition (MSD, Pertronix, Crane, ETC..)

It is a simple installation, rock solid timing, and has an adjustable vacuum advance.

I was running one of the cheap *** Ready To Run distributors, and the mechanical advance would go out of control, and I saw up to 50* of advance with the vacuum advance disconnected. Not good on a 11:1 motor with forged pistons. LOL!

The only downside of the Summit distributors is that they REQUIRE an ignition box in order to run. They're a magnetic pickup.

-
Back