Distributor choice

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
Going to get a new distributor, and its between the firecore or msd billit units. Any opinions?

Looking for around 20 initial and 36-38 total

I just put a MSD Pro billet on mine it's a lot better than what was on there. But I would get the adjustable rotor because mine was off bad.

Been running a MSD for over 6 years no problems well worth the money spent,but i do use Firecore wires..

stroked, which MSD are you running?

Contact TrailBeast. He is selling some NICE distributors he modifies himself that fit your description. Very affordable and is a drop in for the stock Mopar electronic ignition.

Listen to Rusty.
Stock style modified and or just recurved are economical and perform fine.

Contact TrailBeast. He is selling some NICE distributors he modifies himself that fit your description. Very affordable and is a drop in for the stock Mopar electronic ignition.

I recently bought one of his distributors and the ballast-resistor-eliminating HEI units.
Now I just need to get my rear in gear and get back in the garage to stab the engine.
I am anxious to evaluate his setup.

Johnny Pace mentioned in the FiTech EFI thread that Pace Performance was working on offering a Mopar distributor with MSD internals at around $100. You may want to PM him to get more details.

Travis

stroked, which MSD are you running?

8534 with the 6al box and msd coil..

To the original poster if you use a mopar dist. be sure to carry and extra control box,ballast ect. in the trunk cause' your going to need them..

8534 MSD is a good unit.

You won't likely get the exact timing numbers you mentioned with OOTB MSD parts. Their bushing limit down to 18*. If you find the engine like more than 20* initial, hit me up for a 14 or 10* bushing.

You can make anything work. Mopar distributors work fine as long as the mechanical advance is altered. Vacuum advance can throw a wrench in setting up the air gap. They occasionally are not very consistent.

Doesn't the firecore us a Mopar style advance, which is adjustable by moving the advance plates and springs?

I bought a dizzy from Mancini racing you can curve it right from the top without taking it way apart. It looks like a mopar dizzy on the outside. $165.

-
Back