Distributor for Boost

-

kkeith1986

Reaction score
I am looking to set up my distributor for boost. I am un-hooking/removing the vacuum advance and am going to use initial timing for start up and then light weight springs to bring in total advance by 1800 rpms. I know 28 degress of total advance is a good starting point for boosted engines. What should my inititial timing be and how do set up the distributor to be like this? Does anyone recurve distributors?

I do not want to run a programmable ignition and I am looking for 6 lbs of boost for the time being.

think you need to figure out how to retard the timing under boost to control detonation

If I was going to run more then 6 pounds of boost I would just lock out the distributor and run a programmable ignition and tune for boost. Right now with only 6 pounds I know that I can get away with an almost stock distributor. I am almost tempted to just lock the distributor fully out at 28 degrees since it is not a daily driver but then I run into rough idle and hot start / rough start problems.

Drag cars run locked out fully advance distributors all the time but they do not have to worry about idle issues. If I could get my initial timing somewhere around 14 degress and have it fully advanced 28 degrees by 1800 rpms then I would maybe only have a slightly hard start.

If I was going to run more then 6 pounds of boost I would just lock out the distributor and run a programmable ignition and tune for boost. Right now with only 6 pounds I know that I can get away with an almost stock distributor. I am almost tempted to just lock the distributor fully out at 28 degrees since it is not a daily driver but then I run into rough idle and hot start / rough start problems.

Drag cars run locked out fully advance distributors all the time but they do not have to worry about idle issues. If I could get my initial timing somewhere around 14 degress and have it fully advanced 28 degrees by 1800 rpms then I would maybe only have a slightly hard start.

I have a partner in building our car, so if I say "I," I really mean "we" because we talk everything over before we do it, so a lot of the things that get done on our car are a joint effort.

Our car is basically a higher-boost, strip car with little time planned for the street.

What have learned is (and, bear in mind, this applies to OUR car; not necessarily yours):

1. Flame fronts travel a lot faster across the piston under boost than they do in naturally-aspirated engines. We built a copycat engine that was based on two 500hp high-boost (25+psi) motors, both of which run a MAXIMUM of 18 degrees total spark advance.

So, what I did was to acquire a Lean Burn distributor rhat has NO spark advance mechanism of any kind; no mechanical, no vacuum.

We set total advance at 18 degees.

The car runs great on the street with this setup and never kicks back on the starter.... starts easily, every time. Idles like a stock /6.

When I say "runs great," I mean that the street driving that we do has us watching the boost/vacuum gauge and we keep it OUT OF BOOST all the time, so as a normally-aspirated engine, it doesn't appear to need more timing than the 18 degrees we give it. I know that sounds weird, but it is what it is...

If you are dead-set on running a curve, MSD makes a device called a "Boost Timing Master" that will retard your spark either one, two, or three degrees (your choice, set from a knob on the dash) for each pound of boost it "sees," up to a maximum of 15 degrees. I have one on my other car (a Vortech-supercharged 360 Magunm,) and it works as advertised.

That Boost Timing Master has an analog spark module that generates 42.000 volts. Plenty for my car with 10 pounds of boost. With only 6 pounds of boost, timing should not be critical on your engine, I would think.

Good luck, and I hope you get this issue settled to your satisfaction!:blob:

MSD has a box that retards timing. ThAt shod help a bit. If your really looking to hit the boost hard or run some heavy duty combo not normally seen or done, the above suggestion of a fully programa me box/system is the way to go.

Take the idea of cheap and throw it away.

I guess I will just go the ignition box route and find one that retards boost. I have always been a fan of Mallory boxes over msd. Mallory makes a hyfire charger box that does the same thing as msd's boost retard box but it comes with a GM MAP sensor and rev limit switches instead of having to buy a rev chip. With the box can I keep my stock distributor and just remove my vacuum advance? Or do I just install a vacuum check valve in line with it so it doesn't try to push boost into the vacuum actuator but still sees vacuum off boost to give it a good idle?

If I go the MSD route it will be the 6al2 programmable ignition box. It is an amazing ignition box and gives you full control of your ignition. Plus it comes with options like duel rev limiters, ignition start up control, rpm activated switch, and boost reading capabilities. All you have to do is wire it in and tune it from a lap top. I think I might have just talked myself into this ignition setup.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have a complete ignition setup that I'm not using but just haven't had the time to port a ad, MSD 6AL, MSD BTM, AND ALSO A THREE STAGE RETARD BOX, I was going to use them on the toad but since I've change my mind and im building a ms2 to handle all my needs pm me if your interested
Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_20130225_162741.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20130222_073847-1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20130222_073751-1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 215
I have been talking back and forth with a guy who works with Ignition Engineering out of California. He said with only 6 pounds of boost on a non daily driving car that an ignition box would be a little over kill. What he recommended was to set the distributor at at 14-16 degrees intitial with 12 of that degrees from the distributor. Then have it advance up to 26 degrees total by 2600-2800 rpm. He also said that he has recurved distributors for boosted cars and that he would see no issue with this setup.

Now I am debating on what to do. I already ordered a programmable igniton but I could return it and just go with a 60 dollar recurve and get back my 360 bucks for the box.

-
Back