distributor keep failing 3 in one year going on 4th

-

tiltedsix

Reaction score
so every couple months my timing goes to ****...it takes about 2 weeks slowly getting worse....turning over but no fire and flooding engine ...it always in' s up being distributor....[ 69' 225 slant six 1bbl.....cleaned plugs,new cap...egr vacume is working ....this time though even when had been running for a while fine..,it would drop to low and boggy and eventually push though

what do you have for an ignition system?

points dizzy?

Mopar electronic dizzy and ECU?

What coil and ballast bypass?

I promise you the distributor is not failing every year. You have other issues or install issues causing failure. Are you putting in new or used dizzy's? I can count on one hand how many distributors failed on my cars over the years and still have five fingers left. If they are indeed failing, you need to look at external issues that are taking them out. Bushings, advance plates, gear wear, etc .... are more likely the issues.

I promise you the distributor is not failing every year. You have other issues or install issues causing failure. Are you putting in new or used dizzy's? I can count on one hand how many distributors failed on my cars over the years and still have five fingers left. If they are indeed failing, you need to look at external issues that are taking them out. Bushings, advance plates, gear wear, etc .... are more likely the issues.

im betting its points but we dont have enough info yet

What kinda failure exactly? Stripped gear? Points burned up? Sat on by a fat woman? Clue us in here.

Sounds like your coil is having the issue.

Pertronix electronic conversion kits worked the best for me. No more points and or using of feeler gauge was really nice. Throw in their "flame thrower" coil for good measure.

Everything comes in the kit, best to use a magnetic screwdriver if you don't plan on dropping a screw down the distributor. I know this conversion may seem "high performance" but it is reliable and effective, startups are also a lot faster as well.

Sounds like your coil is having the issue.

Pertronix electronic conversion kits worked the best for me. No more points and or using of feeler gauge was really nice. Throw in their "flame thrower" coil for good measure.

Everything comes in the kit, best to use a magnetic screwdriver if you don't plan on dropping a screw down the distributor. I know this conversion may seem "high performance" but it is reliable and effective, startups are also a lot faster as well.

you do know the coil isn't in the dizzy correct?

....turning over but no fire and flooding engine ...

Of course I know where the coil is, Pertronix makes a coil as well. Completely separate from the distributor conversion kit. The coil is needed to get the spark hot enough to ignite the fuel.

His problem sounded like the engine was turning over, but not enough bump to get it to fire up.

Dizzy Why do you guys call it this its really not that mystical.. ITS A DISTRIBUTOR sends sparks out to cylinders be it slant 6 or v8. Google it not hard to follow these days with technology. Nothing compared to todays technology.

Dizzy Why do you guys call it this its really not that mystical.. ITS A DISTRIBUTOR sends sparks out to cylinders be it slant 6 or v8. Google it not hard to follow these days with technology.

That's funny,and I agree.Can't stand it when I hear the word. I think this dizzy term is an Australian thing. It is a distributor.

............Of course I know where the coil is,.................

His problem sounded like the engine was turning over, but not enough bump to get it to fire up.

So why would you jump on the coil?

Could be a LOT of things besides the coil and we don't even know, yet, whether this is points, Mopar, MSD, or what for ignition or whether it's a power/ wiring issue.

thanks for all the feedback .....the ignition is stock...coil new from napa 1 step up from stock ..new relay mod...all three distributer were new remanufactured ,,,first 2 slopy shafts cracking rotor and were questionable in first place....the third & latest was tight hardy no play [ compared to old ones,,,,,,

Explain how the distributor is failing...
What is happening to it ?

thanks for all the feedback .....the ignition is stock...coil new from napa 1 step up from stock ..new relay mod...all three distributer were new remanufactured ,,,first 2 slopy shafts cracking rotor and were questionable in first place....the third & latest was tight hardy no play [ compared to old ones,,,,,,

if its stock you have a points distributor, they require maintenance; you don't just throw them away when the points fail; you need to read up on points and condenser service, probably all you need, takes 10 minutes to change and the parts are under $20

I had two remanufactured distributors go bad with "loose shafts" in a 3 months period. Bought a NOS distributor and it's been going strong for 6 or 7 years now.

so ended up taking to mechanic ....condenser was shot, cap, rotor ,points....running solid now....got higher quality parts also :finga: thank you for all the great feedback

Glad you got it running. Good luck with this one and hope you never have to buy another one.

That's a basic maintenance job you can do yourself with 30 min of reading and about $20. You'll probably need to do it every couple years.

Just sayin'.

Knowledge and ability is a GOOD thing, not to mention a $75 an hour labor rate savings.

so ended up taking to mechanic ....condenser was shot, cap, rotor ,points....running solid now....got higher quality parts also :finga: thank you for all the great feedback

that's good considering you never told us what was in it... stock doesn't mean anything.

Glad you got it running. Good luck with this one and hope you never have to buy another one.

its points, probably go out in a couple of months, luckily they are cheap.

That's a basic maintenance job you can do yourself with 30 min of reading and about $20. You'll probably need to do it every couple years.

Just sayin'.

Knowledge and ability is a GOOD thing, not to mention a $75 an hour labor rate savings.

I got tired of changing points on my 68 as they were going out ever month. Set them on a dizzy (your welcome) machine for proper dwell and everything, just not made like they used to be.

-
Back