Distributor Novice

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
I'm as green as can be messing with distributors. Never even pulled one out of a car till now. This was pulled from my 273 4bbl, 65 Barracuda. A few probably stupid questions, but I couldn't find a distributors for dummies book.

Where under the crud can I find a distributor number? I understand some had a tag, nothing on this one. I assume it's original to the car.
I'm adding new points. The small foam pieces on the old points - I've heard you oil them? Any advice on this?
Anything special I should look for or do to it while I have it out? I've seen penetrating oil squirted down the shaft, etc. Does anyone see anything that doesn't look right?
What is the little vent hole with the spring loaded cap all about? Last pic, lower right side of top portion.

Thanks!

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

What is the little vent hole with the spring loaded cap all about? Last pic, lower right side of top portion
That is a oil cup.

These older dist don't get oil up the shaft like the newer dist do

It's an autolite dist. There should be numbers stamped I to the side.

Look in your years FSM for probable numbers

You are missing the vacuum advance can.

Dual points are a special breed.

Get your FSM and study up the dual point section.

Tip...

There are points for BB dual point they are NOT the same as the SB points, and the dual points ARE NOT the same as single points

The cap rotor and condenser is also different than single point

There is a ground strap between the case and the point plate. It MUST be there and allow the breaker plate to move freely.

I bought a used dual point. I took it all apart and cleaned it up in paint thinner.

It's pretty simple to disassemble. A couple clips and some screws.

Take LOTS of photos as you take it apart.

Service Manual.
Chrysler Master Tech Service Conference
There may be a number on the vac advance. Otherwise with tag lost your SOL. To figure out if its likely the correct for a '65 273 spin it up, measure and plot the curve. If its within spec per FSM, then its probably the same as the car with.

That is a oil cup.

These older dist don't get oil up the shaft like the newer dist do

It's an autolite dist. There should be numbers stamped I to the side.

Look in your years FSM for probable numbers

You are missing the vacuum advance can.

Dual points are a special breed.

Get your FSM and study up the dual point section.

Tip...

There are points for BB dual point they are NOT the same as the SB points, and the dual points ARE NOT the same as single points

The cap rotor and condenser is also different than single point

There is a ground strap between the case and the point plate. It MUST be there and allow the breaker plate to move freely.

I bought a used dual point. I took it all apart and cleaned it up in paint thinner.

It's pretty simple to disassemble. A couple clips and some screws.

Take LOTS of photos as you take it apart.
Thanks for the info.

So am I supposed to add oil to that oil cup? Oil the foam pieces?

Vacuum advance was already taken off before taking pictures. I don't plan to disassemble everything. Mainly just wanted to identify it and get some fresh points in it. The car has set for many years. Probably could have gotten away with filing the existing points.

These are the points I bought. It was a little confusing but these matched up with what was on the distributor best.

Thanks for the info.

So am I supposed to add oil to that oil cup? Oil the foam pieces?

Vacuum advance was already taken off before taking pictures. I don't plan to disassemble everything. Mainly just wanted to identify it and get some fresh points in it. The car has set for many years. Probably could have gotten away with filing the existing points.

These are the points I bought. It was a little confusing but these matched up with what was on the distributor best.

Yep, your tag is missing. It is probably original to your 273. Those points aren't the highest quality but they will probably work (if they are the correct ones) There is a member here that is a distributor wizz. He has parts and rebuilds and restores distributors. Halifaxhops is what he goes by. Send him a personal message if you need parts or service.

Pretty sure this is #2444853. Guy selling one on eBay for $350 that is identical in every way. Who knows where my tag went.

I would love @halifaxhops input. Would consider sending this off to him for a refresh. I know so many just go electronic but plans for the car right now are to try to keep it all original with the dual points.

As for the quality - these are the only points I found for this distributor on rock auto. Maybe cleaning up the originals would make more sense.

Mine is an auto. 273 4 bbl commando. According to the parts manual this is the number from what I can see.

Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 9.18.31 AM.png

No real way to tell what it is even with a tag. You really have to take it apart and see what the internal part numbers are. Good news it is a LA dist!

I sanded the points and put them back in. Have heard nothing good about the Chinese replacements I ordered. If it's not original to the car it would only be the second thing I found that wasn't. First was a carb that was period correct, just for a big block. I'm sure enough that it's 2444853 (IBS-4013)

-
Back