distributor question

-

tekslk

Reaction score
If my initial is at 22 and my total is 34 on a stock 340 mopar distributor, do I need to shorten or lengthen the slots to get 2 or 3 more degrees on total? Memory getting old just like me, Im thinking lengthen the slots a hair or 2.

well you can twist it a hair but that would increase your initial as well
as your total.
lengthen the slot and your total at 3000 rpm will increase a little more
to 36 or whatever your shooting for due to centrifical force

For more advance, lengthen the slots.

On my Barracuda I use a stock electronic with out vacuum advance. I run 17° initial and 36° total. That's only mechanical advance. It's 5° than you're getting.

I wonder why they differ so much....

My friend just bought a rebuilt dizzy and it was almost perfect right out of the box, Im shooting for 35-36 with 20 initial, So I guess about 1/16 of a inch should get me about there.

Some figures culled off the www......................

These figures are DISTRIBUTOR degrees, not at the crank. This means your slots (Mopar FACTORYdist. ONLY) should be in the first couple of figures. If you have a Mopar dist with an ADJUSTABLE advance, they are different...............................

So judging from that, a change of 1/16 (.0625) would put you WAY past what you want. More like .015--.020"

Modifying advance slots
degrees / slot size
6.............. .340
11.5 ...........420

I believe these came from Crackedback. These are supposed to be for the later Mopar dist with adjustable Mallory style advance

This is what I have. I did read somewhere that the 16 was really 14, 18 really 16.

12 0.125
14 0.140
16 0.155
18 0.170
20 0.185
22 0.205

I wish this had the adjustable slots, can you convert them over? Where would you buy them?

No, the newer MP distributors came with the adjustable weights. I kick myself because I may have lost the chance to buy one cheap. You have to pull the cap, look down through the holes in the advance plate and examine them to find out.

I ground a hair out two hairs maybe I now have 40 on total and 16 on initial, it road checked fine ran great no ping issues, do I leave it alone or weld a hair to get back to 36. I know I can turn it back but than the initial will drop back to 12 and my car likes lots of initial.

You don't want to grind more out, if anything you need less slots. There was a similar thread earlier

I added a little j-b weld to shorten the slot imnow at 20 initial and 37 total I can live with that. Thanks for your help everyone.

Will JB Weld actually hold up in that use or will you have little chunks of it flying around in your dizzy in a week or so? Just wondering? Dennis

-
Back