Distributor Question?

-

DOUGIE800

Reaction score
Hey fellas Im from Edmonton And I see theres a few guys on here from Alberta. But been having trouble with my car. Its a fresh 340 might have 1500km On the engine. But since I have had It running this so called spring been doing funny things. Idle won't stay consistant and really don't sound well. I have went Thru The Demon carb 3 times now And yes I know love them or hate them. But ran very well last summer/fall. So am suspecting its my Vacuum advance/Dist It self giving me trouble. But any sugestions Edm/Cal to get the dist redone,recurved? Or just replace with a different unit? Any Advice would be cool? If more Info needed will post My Cars 1971 Duster 340 Spd. D

DSCN0713.jpg

It could be thousand things... hard to tell over the internet especially carbs.

"this so called spring been doing funny things"

What spring exactly are you talking about? Valve springs, distributor springs, or throttle return spring?

Just a suggestion, Mopar distributors are supposed to have a drop or two of oil (every year) put into the felt that's under the rotor. It helps to keep the mechanical advance mechanism from sticking. Make sure the mechanism is moving freely. If it hangs up your timing will be erratic & it'll be hard to keep it running right.

Are you running electronic or points distributor ?
Look inside the cap and see if there is white flaky stuff on the 8 tabs that the rotor hits. And from setting over the winter is the gas filter new or from last year.
There will be a tec jump in here soon as they can to help you more on a possible vacuum leak around your intake or carb plate.
Give them time to get to you.
Welcome and I have got to say that is one good looking Duster :cheers:

I need to learn how to type faster, I thought I was the first one here :read2:

The vacuum advance doesn't come into play at idle unless there is something wrong with the carb. Check for vacuum coming out of the source fitting. It should have no more than 2" of vacuum. Check ignition timing with a good light and see if it's jumping around. That would indicate a distibutor problem. I suspect that if it was running good when you parked it, and nothing was changed, it's a fuel problem....either carb or stale fuel. Find a buddy with a known good compatible carb that you can bolt on and compare.

It could be thousand things... hard to tell over the internet especially carbs.

"this so called spring been doing funny things"

What spring exactly are you talking about? Valve springs, distributor springs, or throttle return spring?

I think he meant Spring as in...winter, SPRING, summer, fall....:-D

Wow lots of attention, this site has lots of members guess too be expected. Ok what it was doing was When Driving around hit a stop light and Idle would stay at 1400-1500ish, not the linkage doing it. So I went thru the carb 3 times cleaning and blowing it all out every nook and cranny. My Holley would do the same thing well similar stuff Every spring. Yes was making reference to "shitty spring" so far. Then say If you were to count to 20 would idle Its self back down to 900 where would try keep it. Then I disconnected VacAdv and it seemed to fix the problem, but must admit unconfirmed havent drivin it much lately. If I was to suck on the vac adv line Idle would come up I know this is correct, but would hesistate to come back down so thinking this Is where the problem Is I hope. Have never lubed the Dist like mentioned its a MP Replacement piece from early 90's had the Dist from Cordoba I Removed Lean burn system then when sent to junk yard kept The dist. This engine is completly new KB Pistons 10 1/2:1(.040), Scat Rods, X-HEADS completely new valves springs guides Everything. The cam Is A Comp Cam nothing too hairy can post the cam card, under .500 Lift duration in the 280ish area. Im thinking The dist Is the problem possibly not. D

I'm not smart enough to speculate myself but that said I've had enough issues and found most of the places NOT to go.

Dave in Carstairs is a good guy and knows what he's doing. If you need the distributor curved I'd recomend him.

http://www.davesmopar.com/

That is a sweet sounding car Dougie800 and good looking car too. Very nice, sorry no help for you, what I know about distributors wouldn't help but I had to chime in about your car.

Thanks for the compliments boys, Im quite sure theres no Vacuum leaks Haven't checked with a spray can but If you block the air off to the engine over top the carb with your hand it will kill it, Correct me if im wrong but this will show a Vac leak? Plus this seems to have appeared over the winter parked the car Last Oct only fired It up once It was parked indoors all winter always has, that paints from 1992 August. Thanks Will check out Daves D

-
Back