Distributor repair

-

Fishracer66

Lap, not 1/4 mile times!
Reaction score
I have a couple of the MP mechanical tach drive electronic distys (PN 4120701) that need repair. One has something wrong with the tach drive mechanism (tach drive rotates freely), and the other has a problem with the mechanical advance mechanism. (doesn't seem to advance correctly). I just put in a third one of these from my junk box that works just fine.

Anybody know a place that can repair these, or are they throw away?

If no, I might be able to tear both apart and make one working unit.......

do not throw away. I think the old units were made by mopar, then Mallory? maybe mallory/msd(now) may have some new parts, or make 1 out of 2, take the 2 apart, they are simple. I have had mine since 1992-no problems

Probably just need to take them apart and clean and lube them, and throw in some new springs while you are there

These aren't old distributors, they are the recent Mopar Performance units. In fact, both of them are practically brand new.

Maybe made by Prestolite?

the old cast iron ones ....probably prestolite ...

newer aluminum ones???.....

got 3 aluminum ones and one old cast iron

Probably just need to take them apart and clean and lube them, and throw in some new springs while you are there

I don't think the one with the broken tach drive is going to be that easy. The tang holder came out when I removed the cable. Looks like something sheared way inside the distributor.

What is interesting about this is that both of these broken distributors are virtually brand new. One was my new spare that has been wrapped up in the bottom of my pit box for the last 10 years or so (this is the one that the advance is not working well), and the one with the broken tach drive was a e-Bay purchase about a year ago. It worked for about an hour, then broke.

Are there any drawings or tear down procedures for these MP distys available anywhere?

-
Back