Distributor vacuum smog device

-
Reaction score
This is still on my 70 Dart with a 318. I don't know when it was put on. The device has 2 spade connectors. It use to have a module that had a temp probe taped to the radiator hose. Plus a bunch of wires. The module is long gone and everything else. My question is how was this done from the factory? Basically I want to remove the clunky device. Did the factory use another valve cover mounted adapter? Or what kind of adapter did they use?

IMG_1815.JPG1.JPG

Last edited:
This was CA

CA decided, not long before I got out of the Navy in 74, that they just HAD to add smog crap to cars, in some cases clear back to 55 as I recall

There were several kits, so imagine this scenario:

You have a 55--64 Chev, which is at least 8-10 or more years old, the rad/ block is beginning to be rust infested, and runs hot in the already hot San Diego area. NOW you put the "simple" kit on.......which consists of two caps and some green silcone, plus carb idle caps

You REMOVE the vacuum advance hose, install the new caps over the vacuum can and carb fittings, and RETARD THE TIMING so somewhere around zero and umpteen after TDC, then you set the carb mixture so lean it will barely idle, and then glue the carb idle screw caps on with green silicone.

Now yours I THINK was made by Carter. Consisted of the taped on thermister, a control module, and the vacuum valve

What this system did was to SHUT OFF vacuum advance until the car overheated, then turned on the valve LOL, to allow the poor overworked engine to cool back down to boiling LOL

Yeah I figured it was something like that. I remember taking it apart and bypassing it. I use to have to do smog checks. There was also a window sticker with the smog kit number on it. I remember the smog guy got excited when he saw it.

I did not remember "then" that these were installed on anything "that new." I do remember some poor old girls coming in with that junk installed, "as required." I was not involved with smog cert, I ran an Allen tune-up machine part time at NAS Miramar, at the Auto Hobby shop, around 71--74. I was stationed there, Ground Electronics, 70-74

I also remember some youngsters came in with a Bronco that was all cammed up with headers, and idling so rich it made you sick. They wanted to improve on that, and had just bought it. The thing had been "smogged" to sell it (they had just bought it), and the smog lic no. was something like 2345678 LMAO. Wish I'd snapped a photo of that cert.

My brother had a '78 Amc that had one. I remember them hooking it up for the smog test. It overheated if left hooked up. Just like you said.

I see an adapter that I could use. Dorman 47304.

Last edited:
I just found the certificate of the smog install. Consumer Affairs Bureau of Automotive Repair.
The date was 1977.

I was looking at my stock 2 barrel carb. It has the same fitting as the distributor 3/16". The aftermarket holley is bigger at 1/4". I guess that's why my vacuum hose is so expanded looking. You'd think they would have kept it the same at 3/16". Oh well.

There were early controls that swapped the distributor vacuum advance from carb ported to manifold vacuum, for high water temperature. At idle and hot, timing advances, for engine cooling, and also increased idle speed.

It is not possible to determine from picture how air solenoid is plumbed. It looks like one port is damaged and/or hose missing. With missing hose, it is possible the unit may switch to open air, resulting in loss of vacuum advance, and poor performance when hot.

Last edited:
I love California. I just want to hug California so hard that it squashes right out of my arms into the ocean, where it sinks like all the other dense turds.

I got the new vacuum hose. 5/32". It expanded over the 1/4" fitting on the carb. Smog device gone!

-
Back