Distributor wiring- slant 6 to 318

-

KenZ

Reaction score
We have a 73 Duster that was originally a slant 6 and now has a 318. The distributor wiring for the slant 6 has a long extension betwen the main harness and the distibutor wires. Do we need to keep it? I assume yes because if we eliminate it the wires going into the distributor would be hooked up backwards without it.

Is this correct? Or did the factory change the wires on the 318 vs slant 6 distributor because this extension isn't supposed to be used.

Oh, and it's a stock electronic distributor.

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

Thanks,
ken

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the physical parts of a /6 harness, but "color to color" all you need to do is make "wire A" connect to "wire A" You should be able to look at the two ends and connectors and see which wire goes where??

??pictures??

Once again, we pull out the trusty "free" shop manual posted by Abodyjoe and his friend:

Notice that in this diagram you are "looking into" the connector front --disconnected from the box

15ycklg.jpg

Here's a "more generic" diagram:

In this diagram, you are looking "into" the front of the connector, not down at the box

mopar-5-wire-diagram.gif

And in this one the connector is shown "looking down" on the box, at the rear of the connector

3129021-5pin.jpg

67Dart273,

I'll see if I can get pictures this weekend. But, if you look at the first diagram you posted, I have another two wire harness between the harness from the distributor and the harness from the module. Because of this extra harness, once the wires reach the distributor they are opposite what the diagram shows.

Does anyone know where the two wires go in the distributor? None of the diagrams posted show that. That would probably help me determine what is correct.

Thanks again for the diagrams.

ken

the only place the go is the reluctor coil. It's a simple coil of wire wound around a bobbin. What I'm saying is regardless of how it's hooked up now, I'd hook it up as per the diagrams posted.

I BELIEVE if you turn the wires one for other at the distributor, it will move the pulse which moves the spark in relation to the rotor, Google "rotor phasing"

http://www.msdignition.com/uploaded...port/frm28392_tech_bulletin_rotor_phasing.pdf

.................NO, they will not be backwards, the wires are right even without the extension.......................kim........

-
Back