distributor wiring?

-

70net440

Reaction score
While I was trying to carefully unplug all of the original wiring in my bracket car I cut both wires to my electronic distributor. I have an older MSD-6 box and am using a painless switch panel. I assume one of the wires goes to the MSD, but it is so old MSD doesn't show a wiring harness for it. I have one white wire coming from the harness in the MSD and another wire that plugs on the oppisite side of the MSD that I think is for the tach. Any ideas? The original wiring was so hacked up, I can't tell how the distributor was wired up. I'm also converting to a one wire alt. if that makes any difference.

what model or version of the msd do you have?

You can look the wiring for MSD stuff up right on the MSD site

It's an older model 6 unit. The website said it was superseeded by the 6A, but the wiring is different from what I have.

Well, calling MSD was useless. "Get it running without the MSD box, then call us back". It's a model 6200. I posted on MSD's forum, got over 400 views, no responses. Thinking I'm going to give Don at FBO a call.

generally....the large red and black wires go to the +12 volt and ground..

their is a red wire that goes to a switched 12 volt circuit...

orange wire positive side of coil....

black wire negetive side of coil

white wire is used with points...to trigger msd

the violent and green wire go to the mopar electronic distributor...

as i read your post on the msd forum....as i said the white wire goes with points...so you would not use it...

the violent and green go to the mopar distributor...

mopar black from distributor goes to msd green...

mopar orange goes to the msd violent....

that is shown on page 19 of msd 6200 installation sheet

Are you saying this is a plain "6" with no suffix IE "6A" What is the part no. of the box, should be (usually) a 4 digit part number?

this is his post on msd forum....

"I have a model 6200 msd box and a stock mopar electronic distributor. All of the stock wiring has been removed and replaced with a painless switch panel. I have figured out most of the wiring, I have one white wire left on the msd to hook up and both wires from the dist. need to be hooked up. One of the wires from the dist. looks to be purple and the other might be green. Thanks for any replies."

White wire is for a points dist. If your running a electronic ign style dist then it doesn't get used.

msd102.jpg

this is his post on msd forum....

"I have a model 6200 msd box and a stock mopar electronic distributor.."

Thanks guys. This would be so damn easy if we didn't have to get freekin' crowbar out to extract information from some of these guys. Like puttin' ant's teeth

Destructions for the MSD 6200:

[ame]http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-6200.pdf[/ame]

If you ground the white it won't run, good antitheft. just wire the switch so it shows on; who would turn a switch to off, to try to start it?

All the above wiring is correct.

I could tell ya what I did for anti-theft, but then I'd hafta kill ya!!

You guys rock! And/or I'm an idiot. I couldn't find the schematic for the 6200. The newer boxes have all of the wires coming out of one side of the box. I couldn't find the violet and green wires until you guys posted the right schematic. After pulling a couple feet of black tape I found them under the main harness that the P.O. had wrapped around the box. The green and violet wires wern't even hooked up. Not sure how this thing was even running. Car fired up, new alt is putting out 14 volts just gotta clean up a few more wires and I think I can get back to the track. Thank you guys for all your help.

-
Back