divots in 340 oil pan rail?

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
just got gasket off 72 340 oil pan, theres divots spaced horizontally along pan rail, new to me, is this something they did back then?i always thought pan rails were smooth, any install tips besides lots of rtv in divots?

I think it strengthens the pan rail.
My 71 pan had it. Never did anything about it and it didn't leak...

Every one I got has them, helps the gasket from squeezing out.

No, don't RTV oil pan gaskets. They're guaranteed to squeeze/ooze out if you do. Rail gaskets should be glued onto the pan using something like Gasgacinch. Only place you should need RTV is at the corners where the end rubber seals meet the rails.

No, don't RTV oil pan gaskets. They're guaranteed to squeeze/ooze out if you do. Rail gaskets should be glued onto the pan using something like Gasgacinch. Only place you should need RTV is at the corners where the end rubber seals meet the rails.
I have never heard of that product. I just checked the on line reviews and mostly everyone say it is the best. Learned something new as I will have to get a can. Thanks for the tip....

I never use RTV on rails only on ends, I use copper coat for most cork gaskets, also do the block, the pan and the gasket, let it get tacky then install, never had a leak.

the indian head shellac stuff, awesome sticky goo. Comes with a cool applicator too.

the indian head shellac stuff, awesome sticky goo. Comes with a cool applicator too.
The indian head works great, until you have to change a gasket.
That stuff is hard to remove.

just use it on one side, your going to scrape the old crap off anyway. If there is a better product let me know.

-
Back