DIY cam bearing install

-

trebor75

Reaction score
Putting together my 360 I would like to do as much as possible myself. Why? I would learn from it and also maybe get some satisfaction out from knowing that I did it myself. I have never installed cam bearings, but I think I could do it. Most of my friends have had the shop do this for them. No one I know owns a cam bearing tool. This is the dilemma. Buying the tool and have it shipped to Sweden costs as much as having a shop do it. So I'm asking you with experience, have you rigged something up yourself and been successful without the tool. I have a few ideas on how to fabb one myself, but I would like to hear from people who have already done this.

Thanks!

i took an old camshaft and cut the bearing journals off it --if your engine has different size bearings for each cam bearing bore you have to modify each journal for each bearing shell .
I bored/drilled a 3/4 inch hole thru the center -- made a backup washer just slightly larger than the journal to butt up against the cam bearing shell -- got a length of 3/4 inch cold rolled steel and drilled and tapped a 3/8 hole for a retainer washer and bolt and made a shoulder on the 3/4 inch bar back far enough to butt up against the cam bearing journal and to stack the backup washer and journal onto the shaft and install the retaining washer and bolt.
.install the cam bearing shell onto the journal you are going to install and drive the cam bearing into the cam bearing bore making sure you are centered and square with the bore.
i used this homemade tool on all my engines and never had a problem.

i took an old camshaft and cut the bearing journals off it --if your engine has different size bearings for each cam bearing bore you have to modify each journal for each bearing shell .
I bored/drilled a 3/4 inch hole thru the center -- made a backup washer just slightly larger than the journal to butt up against the cam bearing shell -- got a length of 3/4 inch cold rolled steel and drilled and tapped a 3/8 hole for a retainer washer and bolt and made a shoulder on the 3/4 inch bar back far enough to butt up against the cam bearing journal and to stack the backup washer and journal onto the shaft and install the retaining washer and bolt.
.install the cam bearing shell onto the journal you are going to install and drive the cam bearing into the cam bearing bore making sure you are centered and square with the bore.
i used this homemade tool on all my engines and never had a problem.

I like this idea, thanks! I'm very curious, do you have a picture of this tool. I have an old cam I could use for this! I was thinking about using a treaded rod and different size washers for each journal. I was also thinking maybe I could use a socket to install the cam bearing shell onto. But a journal would be better!

-
Back