Do cylinders 1 & 2 on a 340 usually run a bit cooler?

-

jcolman

Reaction score
I finally bought myself a laser temperture meter. I shot the headers on the car while it was ideling and found that my # 1 & 2 cylinders are showing temps about 80 degrees cooler than the others. I realize that they are closer to the coolent intake so maybe that's why they might be a bit cooler?

I have a Weiand intake, Edlebrock heads. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't think so. Does it have adjustable rockers?

It's been my experience that air flow can throw the accuracy of IR thermometers off. Could be because 1 and 2 are closest to the fan.

My stock 67 273 has cylinders that are notabily hotter than others same ones on each side but at the moment I don't recall which ones

But it is very consistent side to side

Wall thickness or any more or less mass in the area of measurement would change the result as well. Also as stated any extra aids to convection could also cause a change in results across all 8. Fuel distribution will also play in as a factor. Your running a Sniper EFI correct?

Wall thickness or any more or less mass in the area of measurement would change the result as well. Also as stated any extra aids to convection could also cause a change in results across all 8. Fuel distribution will also play in as a factor. Your running a Sniper EFI correct?
Correct.

Would not surprise if the two front cylinders run cooler. After all, they are the first cyls to get coolant after the coolant has been cooled by the rad. The chambers of #1 & 2 you would expect to be hotter, because they bet the bulk of the coolant that has passed through the engine & picked up heat before arriving at 1 & 2 chambers.

-
Back