Do I have a Feather Duster?

-

Duster1976

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to confirm that I have a Feather Duster. It no longer has the slant six, but it does have aluminum bracing under hood and trunk lid. The VIN plates on the dash and door match the fender tag serial number. I'm finding mixed information on the A31 code being either the Feather Duster Package or 3.91 High Performance Axle Package. Not really sure...

-John

fendertag.jpg

I don't know. "Wiki" had this..........

The Feather Duster featured lightweight aluminum parts including the intake manifold, bumper brackets, hood and trunk bracing, and manual transmission housing, for a weight savings of about 187 lb (84.8 kg)—5% lighter than a standard Duster similarly equipped. It came with a 225 Slant Six with its distributor and single-barrel carburetor calibrated for economy, a low-restriction exhaust system, an extra-high rear axle ratio, and was offered with either the Torqueflite 3-speed automatic or A833 overdrive 4-speed manual transmission. It was the most fuel-efficient car in its size class, achieving up to 36 mpg highway and 24 in the city with the manual transmission option (along with Dodge's version, the Dart Lite).[14]

The big question I have, I have read that the specially calibrated carb would get 30 mpg???

Hello,

I'm trying to confirm that I have a Feather Duster. It no longer has the slant six, but it does have aluminum bracing under hood and trunk lid. The VIN plates on the dash and door match the fender tag serial number. I'm finding mixed information on the A31 code being either the Feather Duster Package or 3.91 High Performance Axle Package. Not really sure...

-John

View attachment 1715707045

Got any pics of the car?

The big question I have, I have read that the specially calibrated carb would get 30 mpg???
Ok off topic but fuel economy thing how come all these new fuel injected cars can’t get that kinda mileage ?

On the Interstate my Feather got over 30 MPG.
Of course it was a no option car, with the 4 speed and just me in the car.
Radial tires, and staying at the speed limit.
Sweet simple car, good package.

Ok off topic but fuel economy thing how come all these new fuel injected cars can’t get that kinda mileage ?
They do, driving a rental car 2020 Nissan Maxima, getting 35 mpg on the highway at 75 mph, quiet car no wind noise. Great power performance, no doubt that it would absolutely run circles around that 70’s carburetored slant six.
Certainly also cleaner concerning exhaust emissions.
Go out and drive a new FI car and you will know better than to write a statement like you did.

They do, driving a rental car 2020 Nissan Maxima, getting 35 mpg on the highway at 75 mph, quiet car no wind noise. Great power performance, no doubt that it would absolutely run circles around that 70’s carburetored slant six.
Go out and drive a new FI car and you will know better than to write a statement like you did.
Agree my Sonata easily gets 30 plus and would more if I could keep my foot out of it

Probably because this Feather Duster and the Dart Lite were under 3000 lbs and used skinny tires. Even the compact new cars weigh more than that and have to pass stricter emission standards.

My 5.7 Hemi in my Barracuda gets 24mph on Highway at 75 mpg. It got 27 when I had an 8 1/4 behind it.

Last edited:

many efi cars get that mileage and more.. all those efi cars also have more creature comforts and are faster then that feather duster too... i'd bet very few of those dusters actually saw 30mpg.

Probably because this Feather Duster and the Dart Lite were under 3000 lbs and used skinny tires. Even the compact new cars weigh more than that and have to pass stricter emission standards.

I don't think they were under 3000.
It was not a very light car with door braces, 5 mph bumper braces, etc.

Ouch my fuel injected 08 6cyl Dakota gets 20 on the hwy it’s piss poor in my opinion I think that in today’s day and age the car manufacturers could do a far better job of engine management, all drive ability aside yes they start an run cleaner, better cold starts etc but come on all the computers and engineering your telling me they can’t be better ?

Because they have a tune for ethanol. Up until about 2003, they did not. We had an 2002 Corolla we bought new that routinely got 46+ MPG. You don't see that anymore.

^^Well and ethanol requires more fuel to get same power as "gas" so there's that^^ and the more alky that's in gas, the more it requires, so to speak

Because they have a tune for ethanol. Up until about 2003, they did not. We had an 2002 Corolla we bought new that routinely got 46+ MPG. You don't see that anymore.
Yes 1984 toyota Corolla carburetor and 5 spd 41mpg hwy

-
Back