Do i have Manual valve body ??

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
How Can i tell the vavle body i have is manual i bought one at a swapmeet
that is Brand New , but was not in the box , it was list'd as a manual vavle body when it was for sale . On the bottem side were the filter goes it is a little diffrent then a stock one , it still has the lever pieace on it for the kickdown tho that rod piece? the numbers on it i found might be mopar performance ? it has a chrysler symbol on it tho

its 3743158
10004 1-06
i have no clue which part number is what ?

Having the kickdown rod going through is normal as it just plugs the hole up. The only other thing I can say is the part numbers on them are a 7 digit number so either the 3743155 or 3743158 is the part number but I don't know a reference to find out what that actually means. Maybe do a Google search on that number and see what you come up with. I know this isn't much help but I tried. Good luck.

They can look the same on the outside buddy, it can be modded several ways, holes, plates, valves changed etc and check balls left out. All depends on if it is a factory VB or aftermarket and how it was done.

sorry!

Dave's right and Bob has a good point. Mopar Perf. used to offer a special transfer plate that you swapped out for the original in your valve body and that made it a manual VB so you couldn't tell it from stock unless you took the VB apart and knew what you we're looking at. Some of the aftermarket VB's are recognizable so if you post some pics we might be able to help you more.

i'd love to know how to figure out as well. i got a sb 727 with my car when i bought it and the guy he thought that it had manual valve bodies but i don't really know how to check for sure. mind you it needs to be rebuilt anyways so i guess i can just ask the tranny guy.

to me they look identical out of the trans.
74scamp360, one way to tell since yours is in the trans is to take it out and when you do there's a spring about 1 1/4" round that sits in a kind of "cup" area in the trans and is sandwiched in by the valve body, I've only been around Turbo Action VB's but I know with those manual valve bodies that spring should not be installed, providing whoever put it in followed the directions this could be a way to tell. Hope this might help you.

berfor i put mine in i rember hearing my little ball in side it tho ? i remeber shakeing it and hearing the ball mover around in it ?? and when i testd it out all's it did when it was in first gear , was go to second and the third , mabe it is not a manual and i do need a kick down ?

and as far as tranny fluid my auto store gave me conoco 76 Super Atf ? i dont think this is correct ,, now i gotta drop my pan and change the fluid ? it says found in most gm and ford vhiecles ?

Balls rattling inside is perfectly normal. There are several check balls in there. I doubt there's a problem with the fluid you used cause torqueflites can use virtually anything. Back when they were made type A was recommended. They quit making that a long time ago and switched to Dexron. Then along came DexronII then DexronIII and now DexronIV. If you put a shift kit in alot of shift kit manufacturers tell you to use Ford type F cause it'll shift a little firmer. Does that fluid say what type it is? Maybe it's synthetic?? If so that's good stuff.

I'm not clear on your description of how it acted. Do you mean it shifted automatically through the gears when in drive? If so you need the kickdown hooked up. Don't run it without it or it'll trash the trans.

Here's how a manual VB works. While stopped pull the shifter down in low gear and it's in low. Put it in 2nd gear and it's in 2nd. Put it in 3rd and it's in 3rd. If you have the shifter in 2nd gear from a takeoff it'll take off in 2nd gear. Same for 3rd. Have the shifter in 3rd gear on takeoff and it'll take of in 3rd gear. The reason it's called a manual VB is it does no automatic shifting on it's own. You have complete control of what gear you in at all times.

The Most i ran the car MAX Less then 10 min with out the kickdown , and thats with out ripping on it or anything thing ! i am scraping that vavle body i just put in and i am ordering this one today ? is this good ? I found out the vavle body i put in is automatic =( !!!!!!

http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/121700/10002/-1
or
http://www.jegs.com/p/Hughes-Perfor...-Valve-Bodies-amp-Transbrakes/760486/10002/-1
512-HP1217
Full Manual Valve Body
Chrysler Torqueflite 727/904

I am unsure of which one to order ??

Do you have a good bolt in rear sprague? If not I don't suggest running a manual VB. Any high perf. application is hard on the sprague. In a torqueflite that's a weak link. Install a manual VB, especially if it don't have low band apply (couldn't find it listed on either vb your looking at) and you are asking for a disaster. Look at the top of this forum at the stickies and you'll see what happened to one guy who blew his 727 to pieces. If you have a good bolt in sprague your ok with a manual VB but first make sure it has low band apply if you plan on using it on the street or be super careful to never downshift to low while coasting even at low speeds.

Good mention Fishy! That was quite a thread and eye popping when it hit.

How Can i tell the vavle body i have is manual i bought one at a swapmeet
that is Brand New , but was not in the box , it was list'd as a manual vavle body when it was for sale . On the bottem side were the filter goes it is a little diffrent then a stock one , it still has the lever pieace on it for the kickdown tho that rod piece? the numbers on it i found might be mopar performance ? it has a chrysler symbol on it tho

its 3743158
10004 1-06
i have no clue which part number is what ?
Did you ever find out what valve body that was with the numbers 3743155 and 3743158? I bought one used from a guy online and he said it was a TCI Auto Streetfighter auto/manual, but mine has numbers 3743155 and 3743159. I can't find anything online that indicates he told me the truth, but it LOOKS like a TCI Streetfighter from photos I see online. He did rip me off for the B&M Megashifter I bought in the same lot so I can't help but believe he might have ripped me off on the valve body too.

Did you ever find out what valve body that was with the numbers 3743155 and 3743158? I bought one used from a guy online and he said it was a TCI Auto Streetfighter auto/manual, but mine has numbers 3743155 and 3743159. I can't find anything online that indicates he told me the truth, but it LOOKS like a TCI Streetfighter from photos I see online. He did rip me off for the B&M Megashifter I bought in the same lot so I can't help but believe he might have ripped me off on the valve body too.
Considering this thread has seen no activity for over 8 yrs. and the OP hasn't been on the board in 3 yrs. my guess is you'll be extremely lucky if you get an answer. BTW: a lot of aftermarket valve bodies use factory castings that are modified and they still contain the factory part #. Post a few pictures of it and maybe we can help

This is the one I bought..

DB89EE3A-AA85-424D-A297-CF6B6BDF5DFD.jpeg

EDA1EA61-34EA-49C3-80E4-D7C25381BC6C.jpeg

6BB46AB4-A3D2-46F1-856F-20E77D19D6B2.jpeg

The gold anodized finished plates and new manual valve actuator suggests that it isn't stock but generally you see the transfer plate is new also. That looks like a stock plate. Do any of the gold anodized plates have anything inscribed on them? Companies that modify valve bodies generally put their name and part # on one of the plates

3743155 is a common casting number, used in dozens of factory and aftermarket variations. 05 30 5 is a date code

The gold anodized finished plates and new manual valve actuator suggests that it isn't stock but generally you see the transfer plate is new also. That looks like a stock plate. Do any of the gold anodized plates have anything inscribed on them? Companies that modify valve bodies generally put their name and part # on one of the plates
Only one gold plate has any marking. “H K”

Howdy! I just opened up an A-904-LA case to change the filter before putting it in my Duster. Bought it from a guy who had it in a full size car behind a 318. The plate has 512 stamped in it. Is that stock? I was going to order a shift kit for it but now I’m wondering if it already has one. How do I tell what this thing is? I know the transmission has been rebuilt at some point because of the gaskets poking out between the main case and tail shaft. The guy I bought it from said it came with his car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

536C4BF6-0A2B-4749-B4D0-85B6A367E006.jpeg

Howdy! I just opened up an A-904-LA case to change the filter before putting it in my Duster. Bought it from a guy who had it in a full size car behind a 318. The plate has 512 stamped in it. Is that stock? I was going to order a shift kit for it but now I’m wondering if it already has one. How do I tell what this thing is? I know the transmission has been rebuilt at some point because of the gaskets poking out between the main case and tail shaft. The guy I bought it from said it came with his car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 1715116783
Yes that's a stock VB plate. Whether it has a shift improver kit installed is another thing because most kits just have you drill out a couple holes in the stock plate and change a spring or two

-
Back