do i have the wrong headgasket?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, I went to put the heads back on my 360 and I noticed that the fel-pro headgaskets I have block of several water passages, most notably the two larger ones on the front of the engine, right behind the water pump
(ill try to take some pictures soon)

these are the ones I have (part number 8553PT)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/8553PT/10002/-1

IIRC those are the skinny boys at .020thickness, and Orange in color.Is that right? They worked fine on my combo.For a while.They didnt like 11.2 c/r. Caught them trying to escape at end of summer. If Im wrong and theyre the blue and.040; Mine have been working for many years now.I think mine are numbered 1008 or 9. Some of the holes in the block are not used for coolant transfer. They were used for sand extraction at the foundry.
OOPs just saw your pic. Guess I was off on the color,lol.If yours look exactly like the pic, then that would be correct.If theyre the skinnyboys I wouldnt trust them much over 10/1

they are the blue ones

they can only go on one way and I don't want to screw it up

it blocks of what looks like to me is a water passage, but I like the idea of them maybe being drains

wish I hadn't pitched the old ones yet

Some of the ports a blocked off with the head gaskets.
Don't worry about it.
Use what you have, I do highly recommend spraying the head gaskets with Permatex copper spray gasket, this stuff works, I use it on every head gasket I bolt on.
Apply it as directions tell you too, go ahead and finish bolting the engine together but do not at add antifreeze for 24 hrs.
The heads will not leak.

Use the copper spray it is about $10 a can, and you will have plenty left over to do many more motors.

thanks guys, ill pick up a can of the coppertone tomorrow and button her up

she is no where near ready to go into the car and probably wont see antifreeze for several months

now if I could only find an oilslinger

Those gaskets are correct, some of the ports get covered up.

Those gaskets are designed NOT be used with any type of sealer. I've been using them for nearly 30 yrs. and never once used sealer and never once had one leak.

No sealant on those blue head gaskets...and they are .053 thick...

Additional Details

Bore (In): 4.180 Inch
Thickness (In): 0.0468 To 0.0572 Inch

The front holes that are blocked are there as part of the casting process and to clean the casting sand out. If those holes were open the water pump would push coolant in the front and right out the top to the Tstat with out circulating through the block and heads.

thanks guys

its been a long time since I worked on anything more then singe cylinder twostroke and seening those holes covered up really irked me

never thought off how they make the blocks

Those gaskets are correct, some of the ports get covered up.

Those gaskets are designed NOT be used with any type of sealer. I've been using them for nearly 30 yrs. and never once used sealer and never once had one leak.

I agree I would never put a sealer (permatex) on a head, but the copper spray is more of a tack / glue, kinda like Indian head shellac with a smooth coating.

If for some reason you go and remove the heads after using the copper spary (upgrade, whatever) you will find that the head gasket will actually rip in 1/2 with part of it bonded to the head and the rest to the block.

Everything is debatable, but I also have alot of grey hair and have been putting mopers together for over 30 years.

I agree I would never put a sealer (permatex) on a head, but the copper spray is more of a tack / glue, kinda like Indian head shellac with a smooth coating.

If for some reason you go and remove the heads after using the copper spary (upgrade, whatever) you will find that the head gasket will actually rip in 1/2 with part of it bonded to the head and the rest to the block.

Everything is debatable, but I also have alot of grey hair and have been putting mopers together for over 30 years.

I'm familiar with Copper Coat. Used it for other things. I've removed Fel-pro's and had them tear with no sealer on them also. Not every time but it's happened. I just feel that Fel-pro designed it (and did a good job) and time has proven it doesn't really need sealer. Will copper coat hurt? I doubt it, but it sure makes for more work cleaning the surfaces. But as they say different strokes for different folks :D

-
Back