Do I need a new Distributor ??

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
In my 72 Dart I have replaced the 318 engine which had a points type distributor, with an 89 360 engine that has a breakerless type dist.. The old dist. has one wire coming out of it, and the one in the 360 has a 3 wire connector. Is there a way to make the breakerless dist. work with the original wiring? All the ones in the sales magizines have a different type connector, a 2 or 3 wire plug in.I am not sure what I need to do.I do know I want breakerless.

You'll need an ignition module , different ballast resister, and the wiring to use the electronic ignition. To buy a complete kit might be the best route. Depends on the condition of the used distributer.

A 1989 360 would probably be a Hall effect distributor with a weird four vane pick-up and no advance mechanism. That style is almost impossible to use with anything other than the PCM (powertrain control module) out of the truck the engine came from. There's a chance it may be a Lean Burn / ESC distributor, which also does not have an advance mechanism but it does have a standard Chrysler pick-up coil like the '73 and later normal electronic distributor. Wiring it to a Chrysler ignition module will get a spark but the timing is fixed. You could wire it to a stand-alone timing control computer though.

Unless you like monkeying around with weird electrical combinations (that happens to be both my hobby and my profession), I would recommend getting a different distributor, an electrical one with a mechanical and vacuum advance.

I have been looking at a new set up from Summit. I appreciate the feedback guys.

Get the mopar performance distributor verse any of the store brands that look the same. The MP unit has a fully adjustable advance mechanism that you will need if you start swapping cams and such.

-
Back