Do I need a new mechanic?

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I dropped off some parts for him to install, as I am wqay to busy to put them onmyself right now, and would like to get in some fun before the winter hits up here.

I had some oil leaks around my intake manifold near the dizzy, so it had to come off anyway I decided that the intake I had (Weiand 8007) needed to go, it needed a heli coil., and had the smaller intake runners. I upgraded(?) to the edelbrock rpm airgap. I figured with the larger ports, I might lose a bit of velocity, so I added a holley 4 hole carb spacer to try and keep the speed up.

Did I make a mistake? My mechanic thinks I will loose all my bottom end with this intake and Spacer? I thought I had done my research? What do you guys think?

From numbers I've seen on the Air Gap, they seem to beat pretty much everything out there across the RPM range. I'm not sure what to think about the spacer. Open hole designs usually bump up the HP a bit at the top end at the expense of TQ at the bottom end. Don't know what the 4-hole space would do. With the relatively small torquey cam, I would probably skip the spacer.

IMO, The 4 hole won't hurt much if anything. It's easy enough to remove if you wanted to test it out.

Seems as though the range of the cam really wouldn't require any additional spacing when using an air gap.

Did the weiand you where running have the small 318 ports? I would think the velocity would be the same or better since your not going from the small intake runners and then trying to "fill" the larger runners on the 360 heads. The RPM is a much better match for the 360 heads IMO.

Will you loose torque below 2500-3000 rpm? Yes.

Will you loose all of it? No.

Will you gain torque above 3000 rpm? Yes

Dump the four hole spacer. It's like putting a 2" washer in a 3" exhaust. The key is getting everything to accentuate the peak in the same place in the rpm range. I'd probably add an open spacer to the Weiand rather than a 4-hole to the RPM in respect to the cam you're running. It'd be cheaper too. :) If your cam were in the 224 + range, i'd then move up to the RPM manifold. 234+ range, move up to the Victor

I were you as a general rule of thumb, before I bought anything, I would get 5 opinions on it and go with the 3 that agree with each other just to start.

Thanks for all the input Guys, I am hoping the car is to be out of the shop after work. The spacer is mainly to raise the aircleaner a little further up through the hood, into the "6 pack" scoop.

Perhaps I could ditch the spacer on the carb and put one of those "rings" between the aircleaner and the Carb?

Hey Robb just a side note..... I'm gonna start a new post and would like all to contribute their lingo.... Like "Dizzy" for distributor etc.... all the slang names and terms for different auto related items. I hope you post....

Belden

Tell your mechanic that a 4 hole spacer should build torque and throttle response. An open spacer would be more likely to hurt the low end.

Hey Robb, I talked to a tech with Edelbrock about using an open or 4 hole spacer on the RPM Performer I'm getting for the 383 and his answer was no spacer required and may even hurt. I've used a 4 hole on a single plane manifold and it did help the bottom end (off idle) but won't be using any on the RPM.

Terry

I got more seat of the pants torque with just changing to the
RPM air gap. I really dont think you need the spacer.
Mine is a 340 with a MP cam 484/242. headers and X pipe.
Try it with out the spacer first.
I just fit it under the hood in the Duster with a 4 in filter.
You shouldn't loose any power and torque.

The Air gap is probably the best designed intake on the market. A buddy of mine ran across an article that tested about 12 different intakes from mild to wild and the Air-gap had the broadest torque curve of all tested. It would surprise me if you'd loose enough low end torque to even feel much of a difference. The Air-gap design cools the intake charge which builds torque. Like the others said I don't think you'd need the spacer but you are correct in thinking it would (or at least should) help low end torque.

The RPM is head and shoulders above the 8007. It's also taller, and the spacer will hurt you. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I do agree that you dont need to spacer do to the airgap being a higher rise.

But I have recently install a Zex nitrous kit on my 340 airgaped dart and I could not tell a bit of difference with the nitrous plate on from before.

I Zex nitrous plate is only a half inch tall though.

-
Back